Using AnyClient, how do I use WebDAV to upload files to my Oncourse Resources or Drop Box?
On this page:
WebDAV (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning) allows you to upload and download large files (over 200 MB), multiple files, or folders of files to your site more easily.
The AnyClient software is available for download for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux/Solaris; you can also use it on the web, regardless of operating system. However, other modes of setting up a WebDAV connection (e.g., mapping a drive in Windows 8 or 7, or using Cyberduck in Mac OS X) may be easier to use; for instructions, see Uploading files to Resources or Drop Box using WebDAV with Windows and Uploading files to Resources or Drop Box using WebDAV with Mac OS X.
Note: WebDAV is not available for use with Guest accounts.
Before you set up WebDAV, at least one object (i.e., file or folder) must be in the destination Resources or Drop Box tool. For help, see Resources or Adding, editing, or deleting an item in Drop Box.
Saving files directly to WebDAV (i.e., from within an application, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, or Internet Explorer) does not work reliably. For best results, save the file to your computer first, and then upload it to your site.
Note: Filenames that include certain characters cannot be accepted. For a list of unsupported characters, see Unsupported characters.
The quota for a course, project, or portfolio site is 4 GB; the quota for My Workspace is 4 GB. You can only upload 200 MB at a time, unless you use WebDAV. To request a larger quota for your site, see What are the default disk quotas for UITS accounts, and how do I request an increase? To check your site quota and usage, in the Resources tool, click .
Accessing the software
You can choose to download the software or access it via the web:
Note: Some users may experience difficulties uploading folders or uploading to sub-folders when using the web-based version of AnyClient.
To use the web-based version of AnyClient:
- From the AnyClient page, if you have already set up an AnyClient web account, click . If you do not have an account, click and follow the prompts to create one; then sign in.
- When the security warning appears, click . On a Mac, choose .
- Continue to the instructions below for Connecting to your site.
Connecting to your site
Once you have AnyClient running by one of the two methods above, you will see two columns; the one on the left is your local system, and the one on the right is the remote system.
To connect to your site's Resources or Drop Box:
- At the bottom of the page, click .
- In the bottom left corner of the "Connect" dialog box, click .
- A directory called
NewSitewill appear in the "Site Manager" column; you can give this a meaningful name if you want to.
- Under "General", click in the "Host" field, and enter a URL that points to the destination tool.
- To connect to a site's Resources, enter the following URL,
siteIDwith the appropriate siteID:
- To connect to your personal Resources (in My
Workspace), enter one of the following URLs (both will work),
usernamewith your Indiana University Network ID username:
- To connect to a site's Drop Box, enter the following URL, replacing
siteIDwith the appropriate siteID:
- Alternatively, to find the URL you need, go to the site and tool you want to connect to and click . The URL for that tool appears in the instructions.
Note: For instructions on finding your siteID, see Determining your site's siteID.
- To connect to a site's Resources, enter the following URL, replacing
- Type your Network ID credentials in the "Username" and "Password" fields.
- From the "Protocol" drop-down list, choose .
- Click .
After a few seconds, the "Remote System" column on the right will display the files and folders in your site. Navigate into folders by double-clicking them. Click to select the file or folder you want to copy, and click the arrows (or ) to copy it to the destination location.
When you have finished copying files, click.
This is document azda in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-01-28.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.