In Android OS, how do I configure my device to access my IU email account through an IMAP connection?
On this page:
- Overview and recommendations
- Preparing your Imail or Umail account
- Configuring IMAP
Overview and recommendations
These instructions describe how to manually configure your Android device to access your Indiana University email through IMAP:
- Exchange: If you have an IU Exchange account, UITS highly recommends you connect using Exchange ActiveSync, which allows a much greater range of features than IMAP; IMAP is usually only necessary if you are adding multiple Exchange accounts to your Android device. See At IU, how do I connect to my Exchange account with Android?
- Imail or Umail: The instructions below include generic configuration settings for accessing Imail and Umail through IMAP. However, UITS recommends that you connect to an Imail or Umail account using Exchange ActiveSync or a Gmail connection, respectively. See At IU, how can I read my Imail or Umail on my Android device?
- Cyrus: If you have a Cyrus
(Webmail) account, you should use an IMAP connection as
Note: Because of a bug in the Android operating system, you will be unable to set up an IMAP connection if your Webmail quota usage is over 95%. Delete saved messages until your usage is below 95%, and then try again to connect.
To set up your account, you should have a reliable Wi-Fi Internet connection. When you finish entering your mail settings, the device will check them by connecting to your account. For more, see IU Secure wireless connections: Android OS.
Preparing your Imail or Umail account
Because your IU passphrase will not work with Imail or Umail on your mobile device, you must first create a vendor password; see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail?
Enabling IMAP for Imail
After you log in for the first time, IMAP is enabled for your Imail account; see Accessing your mail.
Enabling IMAP for Umail
To enable IMAP for your Umail account:
- Log into Umail using a web browser; see Accessing your mail.
- At the top right of the "Umail" screen, click the gear icon, and choose . Click .
- In the "IMAP Access:" section, under "1. Status:", select .
- Click .
Note: It may take up to 24 hours for the changes to take effect.
Once you have prepared your account, you can configure Android to make an IMAP connection.
To configure your IU email account on Android OS:
- From the menu, select or .
- In the "Email address:" field, enter your full IU
email address (e.g.,
- In the "Password" field, enter the following:
- In the bottom left-hand corner, select , and then select . In older versions, uncheck , and then tap .
- In the "Username" field, enter the following:
- Exchange or Cyrus: Use your IU Network ID username.
- Imail: Use
- Umail: Use
In older versions, tap, and then verify the default information is correct. Tap .
- In the "IMAP Server" field (in older versions, tap
, and then select ), enter the
appropriate address for your service:
- Change "Security type" to Cyrus or
(Imail); "Port" will automatically change to 993.
In older versions, tap the checkboxes next toand , and then proceed to step 9. (
- Leave the "IMAP path prefix" field blank.
- Tap . In older versions, tap .
- In the "SMTP server" field (in older versions, tap
), enter the appropriate address for your
Note: To type a dash (
- For a Cyrus or Exchange account, change "Security type" to
465. In older versions, tap the checkboxes next to and , and then proceed to step 14; the "Port" field will automatically change to 465.
For an Imail account, change "Security type" to, and the "Port" field will automatically change to 587. , and in the "Port" field, enter
- Make sure that is checked.
- The "Username" and "Password" fields should already be filled. If not, enter your information, as detailed in steps 3 and 5 above.
- Tap . In older versions, tap . You will briefly see the "Checking Outgoing Server Settings" screen.
- Next to "Email checking frequency", select how often you would
like your phone to check for new messages.
In older versions, tap, and then select how many messages you would like to sync. When you're finished, tap , and then proceed to step 19.
- Next to "Give this account a name (optional)", you can enter a name
- To receive a notification when you receive email, check .
- In the "Your name" field, enter your full name.
- Click . In older versions, tap .
This is document azho in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-06-24.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.