ARCHIVED: About the Exchange 2010 server migration at IU
Starting in May 2010, UITS began the upgrade of Indiana University's Microsoft Exchange email environment, including new hardware and the latest software. On May 20, 2010, the first changes were made to lay the foundation to move to the Exchange 2010 environment.
Beginning in June, mailboxes will be moved to the new Exchange 2010 mailbox servers. You may continue using your email client (Outlook, Entourage, etc.) throughout the migration process; however, a brief outage will occur at the end of each mailbox move. If your email client is running while your mailbox is being moved, you may get a notice that says a problem occurred, or that asks you to quit and restart. Restart your email client; most clients will automatically connect to the new hardware.
On this page:
- Email clients
- Known issues
You may experience different issues depending on what email client you use:
- Entourage and Mac OS X 10.6 Mail, iCal, or Address Book: Entourage users should upgrade to the latest version of Entourage Web Services Edition.
- Outlook and Outlook Web App
(OWA): If you use Outlook or OWA, you should see an error
message once your mailbox has been moved. Close and restart Outlook
or OWA to reconnect to the new mailbox. You may need to wait up to 30
minutes before you can reconnect.
Note: OWA has the same functionality across major browsers in most cases. For help using OWA, with your Inbox displayed, click(the question mark) at the top right.
If you use Outlook 2003, you will need to configure the email client before or after the mailbox move to connect to the new mailbox; see ARCHIVED: In Outlook 2007 or 2003, how do I enable encryption?
- Mobile devices: If you use a mobile device, you may see no interruption in service; however, you may need to re-sync your device. See ARCHIVED: About mobile devices and the Exchange 2010 server migration at IU.
For details about improvements, see ARCHIVED: New features in Exchange 2010 at IU.
For current information about known issues, see Known issues and changes for the implementation of Exchange 2010 at IU.
This is document azsk in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2012-11-16.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.