ARCHIVED: About the Network Master Plan
Indiana University's 10-Year Network Master Plan for the Bloomington and IUPUI campuses integrates the separate wiring and switching systems that previously provided services such as phone, Internet, and videoconferencing into one efficient, high-speed digital network. As a part of this integration, the funding model for telecommunications and network services has changed effective July 1, 2011. For more, see ARCHIVED: About changes in funding for telecommunication and network services at IUB and IUPUI.
This technological convergence was originally envisioned in IU's 1998 IT Strategic Plan, and is now being implemented as part of the 2009 IT Strategic Plan, Empowering People. The IU Trustees endorsed the Network Master Plan in 2009 in an effort to ensure the efficient evolution of IU's critical network infrastructure. For more, see Action Items 3, 7, 8, 11, 12, and 17 of Empowering People.
Major components of the Network Master Plan include:
- Inside Building Wiring
- Outside Building Wiring (connections to the core)
- Core Network Infrastructure
- Wired and Wireless Edge Connections
- Remote Network Monitoring/Management
- Voice Communication Systems
Benefits of the Network Master Plan include:
- Upgrade of the core networks to greatly improve bandwidth and reliability
- Upgrade of all building wiring from 10 MB per second (Mbps) to 1 GB per second (1 Gbps), and to meet industry standards
- A nearly complete replacement of network equipment that is seven or more years old
- Many additional wireless access points for total wireless coverage, and increased bandwidth from 11 Mbps to over 200 Mbps per access point
- Redundancy to provide greater reliability and stability of network connections
The Network Master Plan is being funded with a combination of cash reserves, cost savings from the deployment of new technologies and operational efficiencies, and revenue collected for voice and data services. The plan was designed to be cost neutral; that is, over the span of the plan there would be no additional funding for anything other than closet reconfiguration.
This is document bawj in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2012-07-05 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.