At IU, how do I link my Umail account to an outside Gmail account?
At Indiana University, you may set up your Umail account so that it is synchronized with a Gmail account. Email messages received by the Umail account will then be forwarded to the Gmail account you specify. To link your accounts:
- Enable POP for your Umail account; if you have already enabled
POP, skip to the next step.
- Log into your Umail account at https://umail.iu.edu/.
- Click the gear icon, and select .
- Click the tab.
- Select or .
- Click .
- Log into the Gmail account where you want all Umail messages to be forwarded.
- In the upper right corner, select the gear icon; from the drop-down menu that appears, select .
- In the "Settings" window, select the tab.
- In the "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)" section, select .
- In the pop-up box that appears, enter the email address you wish
to check. Be sure to supply your full Umail address, in the form of
email@example.com. Select .
- A window will appear asking you to enter your mail settings for
the supplied email address.
- The username field will be filled completed, and you can leave the checkboxes as they are. For the password field, be sure to enter your vendor password and not your university passphrase; see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail?
- In the server drop-down menu, select
pop.gmail.com. and type
- Make sure the port number is
- Choose whether you would like to send mail from your designated Umail address. An affirmative answer will allow you to send mail within Google from your Umail address. If you wish to transition to the Gmail account permanently, it is best not to choose this option. For more about how this service works and the steps necessary to complete the setup, see Google Help's Sending mail from a different address.
- If you answered "No" to the prior question, select .
This is document bayf in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-08-03 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.