About Box Sync
The Sync feature for Box allows you to easily sync files between your desktop and your Box account. This is especially useful for files you wish to access offline and/or work on frequently. However, UITS strongly recommends that you do not use Sync as the primary means for managing your files in Box, but only for quick local access to frequently used files.
To install Box Sync:
- Log into your IU Box account.
- Click your name in the upper right, and select Support Center.) from the drop-down list. (If you don't see the Box Sync option, contact your campus
- Follow the prompts to download and install Box Sync.
Note:Box Sync will create a folder on your computer called
Box Sync. Don't rename this folder; if you do, Box will re-create it and duplicate the synced files. You can select an alternate location for your Box Sync folder, but only immediately after installing Sync. For instructions, see Can A User Select the Box Sync Folder Location?
- After installing Box Sync, log into the Box Sync client.
- In the "Email" box, enter your IU email address. Click .
To sync folders to your computer:
- Open Box in your web browser, and navigate to the folder or subfolder you want to sync.
- Right-click the folder or click the down arrow to the right of its name.
- Select .
To manage files in Box, it's best to keep them in folders in Box. If you put any individual files in your
Box Sync folder on your computer, Box will sync those files at the top level of your Box account. For ease of file management, either create a private folder in the top level of your Box account, and then sync it and put the files there, or move the loose files into folders after syncing them to Box.
- Box does not sync files by default; you'll need to log into Box on the web and indicate which folders or subfolders you wish to sync.
- You must have Editor permissions or above on a collaboration folder in Box to sync its contents to your desktop.
- The act of syncing content to a computer is not logged (i.e., changes to files will be logged, but access will not). If you need to log each time a file in your folder is accessed, set the access level for each collaborator to no higher than Viewer Uploader; for more, see Permission levels in Sharing files on Box.
This is document bcbk in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-04-12.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.