Creating and using an external password for enterprise Box
At times, you may wish to sign into your Box account without using CAS. Creating an external password, different from your IU Network ID passphrase, will allow you to do so. Having an external password ensures continued access to your files during a change of IU email address, or when using apps that do not support Single Sign-On (SSO).
After you have set your external password, use it and your IU email address to log into your Box account at https://app.box.com/login.
Resetting a forgotten external password or creating a new one:
Note: Though the form says it's specifically for forgotten passwords, it will also work if you didn't have an external password to begin with.
- Go to https://www.box.com/reset, and enter the email address used for your Box account.
- Box will send you a link to change the password over email. Click the link to set a new external password. For help choosing a strong password, see the University Information Security Office (UISO) document Passphrases.
Changing an external password
Note: The following instructions presume you can log into your account either through SSO or an external password.
- Log into your enterprise Box account from your laptop or desktop. At the upper right, click the gear icon. From the drop-down menu, click .
- Near the bottom, you'll see an option to University Information Security Office (UISO) document Passphrases. . Enter a secure, standard user password such that the strength bar registers "Strong". For help, see the
This is document bccp in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-01-29.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.