About the block on off-campus remote desktop connections at IU
To protect the Indiana University network from a vulnerability in the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) announced March 13, 2012, UITS is blocking incoming remote desktop connections from computers on non-IU networks. The block went into effect Thursday, June 21, 2012. For more, see the related security bulletin and Protect IU blog post.
Making remote desktop connections after the block
- Connecting to VPN: Establish a VPN connection if:
- You are off campus, connecting to a computer on campus. When
connecting from off campus, use the recommended SSL VPN, if
your campus supports it.
Note:This requirement is due to the June 2012 RDP block.
- You are on campus, connecting to your home computer in campus
housing. For VPN connections on campus, use IPsec (or PPTP at the
Note:This has been a long-standing requirement, not affected by the RDP block.
For instructions, see The basics of VPN at IU.
- You are off campus, connecting to a computer on campus. When connecting from off campus, use the recommended SSL VPN, if your campus supports it.
- Using IUanyWare: Log into IUanyWare, click , and select
For more, see How do I set up and use IUanyWare?
This is document bcfp in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-04-03.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.