ARCHIVED: In EBI at IU, how do I access the reporting tools?
You will access the EBI reporting tools through your Business Intelligence (BI) Center.
On this page:
Accessing your BI Center
To access your BI Center:
- Navigate to the Enterprise Business Intelligence home page, and then, from the global navigation bar, select .
- Click the desired SQL Server, SharePoint, or Tableau BI environment (e.g., , , , or ).
- If prompted, log in with your IU Network ID username and passphrase.
- In a Microsoft BI environment, from the top menu bar, mouse over
In a Tableau BI environment, under "BI Centers (Projects)", select your BI Center.
, and then select your BI Center from the drop-down list.
Accessing reporting tools
From your BI Center, you can access the following EBI reporting tools.
SQL Server reporting services
- Report Builder: To access Report Builder, navigate to your department's BI Center folder and click Note:If an
Application Run - Security Warningdialog box appears, asking if you want to click , you do not need a client install. The first time Report Builder runs on your computer, it will indicate that Report Builder is being downloaded. After that, each time you open Report Builder, you will see a
Launching Applicationdialog box for several seconds while the program is loading.
, and then click .
SharePoint reporting services
- Dashboard Designer: To access Dashboard Designer, navigate to your department's BI Center folder and click Note:The first time you run Dashboard Designer, an
Application Run - Security Warningdialog box will open; click to continue. You will also see a message window stating that Dashboard Designer is being downloaded. This is not a full software download, as Dashboard Designer is being accessed from the SharePoint server.
- PowerPivot for SharePoint
To use PowerPivot, you must install it as an Excel add-in on each computer on which you wish to use it; see Microsoft's PowerPivot page for instructions. Once installed, the tab will appear on the Ribbon whenever you launch Excel. The tab will display commands for interacting with data in the PowerPivot table.
Tableau reporting services
- Report Builder: To access Report Builder, navigate to your department's BI Center folder and click Note:To use Tableau Server, you must install Tableau Desktop on each computer on which you wish to use it; for instructions, see At IU, what is the Tableau publishing process from start to finish? To ensure that the IU EBI helpdesk will be able to provide support, download Tableau Desktop from https://bi.iu.edu/BITools/Tableau/Pages/default.aspx.
Getting help with reporting tools
For help with BI reporting tools, see:
- BI Tools Help on the IU SharePoint Users' Group BI blog
- IT Training's Business Intelligence for Report Analysts workshop
- IT Training's Business Intelligence Self Study Training Resources
If you encounter a problem or have a question, contact EDSS.
This is document bdbd in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-08-30 10:50:24.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.