Adopting IU eTexts as an IU eTexts Coordinator
To submit a request to adopt IU eTexts titles, follow the instructions below.
On this page:
- Before you begin
- Adopting IU eTexts
- Adding more IU eTexts to a class
- Deleting IU eTexts from a class
Before you begin
- You can submit an IU eTexts adoption request for a class when the class is in the SIS Schedule of Classes.
- The IU eTexts Adoption Portal is optimized for use on the IU network using Windows with the Firefox or Chrome web browsers (Internet Explorer is not supported).
- The IU eTexts Adoption Portal is only available during a specific period before each term; see IU eTexts for the timeline. When the deadline has passed, the portal is no longer available. To discuss the possibility of adopting after a deadline, send mail to
- When cross-listing Canvas courses that use eTexts, make sure that all classes adopt the same IU eTexts, since cross-listing with a course that uses different or no IU eTexts will break the links to the IU eTexts materials.
- After a title is loaded to the course site, changes or deletions are no longer possible.
For help with IU eTexts, contact your campus Support Center.
Adopting IU eTexts
1. Identify IU eTexts titles to be adopted
Before requesting adoption of an IU eText, you'll need to locate your desired title in the IU eTexts Catalog. Be ready to also provide the work's ISBN and its title or author.
2. Open the IU eTexts Adoption Portal and select a class
- Go to IU eTexts Adoption (Coordinator) in One.IU, and click .
- On the "IU eTexts Entry Class Selection" page, from the drop-down menus, select the appropriate campus, career, term, and subject.
- Enter your course's subject code letter and catalog number (e.g.,
- Click .
- Click the specific class for which you'd like to adopt an IU eTexts title.
3. Request adoption of IU eTexts
On the "IU eTexts Request" page:
- Select the publisher from the drop-down menu.
- Select Adopting open educational resources or faculty-produced IU eTexts. only for free materials produced by faculty, materials for which faculty have the digital rights, or fair use materials. Then, proceed to
- Select Adopting open educational resources or faculty-produced IU eTexts. for free materials not produced by faculty. Then, proceed to
- Select only for special arrangements.
- Enter search terms in the "Title" or "Author" fields. Keep in mind:
- Some portion of the title or author is required to search.
- Cut and paste functions are disabled for this search.
- Using fewer search words or searching fewer fields will yield more results.
- If you're searching for an author's name, search using the last name only.
- If you're searching for a title, search using only a keyword or unique word from the title.
- Catalog data may have been entered in a different format than what you are reading.
- If your search yields no results, try a different search term or format.
- Click and scroll down to view your results.
- To the left of the desired title, click Important:Since many title and author combinations are similar, be sure to verify that you have chosen the correct title by making sure its ISBN matches that of the text you wish to adopt.
. Your selection will appear in a new "Textbook Details" window.
- Review the details to be sure you have selected the correct title. If not, click and make a new selection.
- If the instructor will receive royalties from the title, check .
- Click .
- If necessary, repeat steps 1-7 to add more titles to your request.
- Click .
- On the next screen, you'll see your submitted adoption request. Note the document ID ("Doc Nbr:") at the top right for tracking purposes.
- Scroll down and click to return to the original screen for another adoption request.
4. Approval of IU eTexts requests
In most cases, IU eTexts adoption requests will be marked "FINAL" and saved to the SIS Schedule of Classes within moments. However, in the following scenarios, your request will be marked "ENROUTE" and routed through an approval process set by your school, department, or program before being saved to the SIS Schedule of Classes.
- Enrollment: If there are already students enrolled in the class, approval is required to ensure someone in the school, department, or program is assuming responsibility for contacting the enrolled students and informing them of the change to the class (i.e., the adoption of one or more IU eTexts titles and the resulting course fees). Before submitting an IU eTexts adoption request after there is enrollment, it is important to consider the impact on the students. For example, has the first bill for the term been generated? Has financial aid for the term been disbursed?
- Royalties: If faculty will receive royalties from the title being adopted, your school, department, or program will first collect and/or review your adoption request.
- Faculty submission: Your school, department, or program may choose to collect and/or review all adoption requests submitted by faculty before approving them.
You will receive up to three email messages following submission of your request for IU eTexts adoption:
- Confirmation that your adoption request has been submitted. You'll receive this message immediately after you click . This message includes your document ID; click the link to review your adoption request.
- Confirmation that your adoption request has been saved to the SIS Schedule of Classes. Typically, you'll receive this within moments of submission, unless additional approval is required (for details, see Approval). This message includes your document ID; click the link to review your adoption request.
- The third message is sent to the class's listed faculty member or instructor, and provides notification that the IU eTexts title is available in the course site. This message normally comes approximately one month before the first day of class in the coming term, and is only sent for text-based titles presented on the Engage reading platform. For Digital Learning Tools updates, faculty should work with the publisher representative.
Adding more IU eTexts to a class
To add more IU eTexts titles to a class, repeat the steps above.
Deleting IU eTexts from a class
To delete an IU eTexts title from a class, navigate to the class (as described in Open the IU eTexts Adoption Portal and select a class), and then:
- On the "IU eTexts Request" page, scroll to the far right column.
- In the row of the title you wish to delete, click .
- Click .
This is document bfls in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-11-28 13:22:10.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.