Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


What is CSS?

Cascading style sheets (CSS) are used to determine the appearance of HTML pages in a browser. They provide an easy way to change the visual appearance of a group of HTML files without changing each individual file. CSS allows the separation of web page content (i.e., the text of a page) from the way that the content is displayed (i.e., the font, size, and color of the text). The standards for CSS are maintained by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).

Many WYSIWYG web design programs such as Adobe Dreamweaver use CSS behind the scenes to manage the style and formatting chosen by the user. For more, see the "Web authoring tools" section of For HTML, what editing software is available?

CSS files can be edited manually with a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit, and can be identified by their .css file extension. To learn how to use CSS, see the W3Schools CSS Tutorial.

Not all graphical browsers implement all the properties of the complete specification for CSS; even those that do sometimes render them very differently. If you develop pages using CSS, be sure to test them in a wide range of browsers. To learn how different browsers handle CSS features, see the W3C's CSS Browsers reference.

For more information about CSS, see:

This is document agrl in domain all.
Last modified on August 05, 2013.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.