Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


Where can I find the UITS Intranet?

UITS staff can find links to online internal information and services, including staff directories and organizational charts, by accessing the UITS Intranet in OneStart:

  1. Log into OneStart.

  2. Click the Services tab.

  3. On the left, click UITS Intranet.

Note: Much information internal to UITS is also available in this Knowledge Base, but UITS staff must be logged in to view it. See About logging into the Knowledge Base. For example, if you're not logged in now, log in; links to more internal information will be available to the right under "Related articles". Additionally:

  • Access to the UITS Intranet (and UITS-only content in the Knowledge Base) is granted by membership in a dynamic group (VPIT) managed by the UITS Identity Management Systems (IMS) group. If you're part of the VPIT group, you should be able to log into the Knowledge Base and view UITS-only content in the Knowledge Base, and log into OneStart and access the UITS Intranet.

  • If someone sends you a link to a page in the UITS Intranet, and you click the URL, or copy and paste it into your browser, you'll get a "not authorized" error, even if you're logged into the the Knowledge Base and/or CAS. To access the page successfully, navigate to it via OneStart.
This is document awtl in domain all.
Last modified on March 12, 2012.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.