At IU, how do I configure ArcGIS for license service failover?
At Indiana University, UITS manages a two-server Unix
system to provide automated failover licensing support for Esri software. The
primary and secondary UITS-managed Esri license servers are
esri2, respectively. To ensure uninterrupted access to
the license service, UITS recommends that you configure
your computer for license server failover by creating a system
environment variable specifying the names and port numbers of the Esri
Note: You must have administrative rights to make the following changes to your computer; log in as an administrator if necessary.
Note: At Indiana University, the University Information Security Office (UISO) recommends that you normally refrain from running your Windows computer as an administrator. For more, see What is the principle of least privilege?
To configure ArcGIS for license service failover:
- From either the desktop or the
My Computer, and then select
- Click the
Advancedtab, and then
- To add a variable, under "System variables", click
New System Variablewindow will appear:
- In the "Variable name" field, enter: ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE
- In the "Variable value" field, enter:
Note: The semicolon (
;) at the end of the variable value is essential.
- To close each of the open windows, click
To verify the license server variable is set correctly:
- From the
Accessories, and then
- In the window that opens, at the prompt, enter: set ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE
- If the variable is set correctly, you should see the following statement in return: ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILEfirstname.lastname@example.org;email@example.com;
Last modified on April 08, 2013.