ARCHIVED: How can I register my wireless computer's MAC address?
Per the UITS IP Address Security and Accountability Project (IPSAP), you must register your wireless computer's MAC address before you can access the Indiana University network.
Note: You'll need to register your computer's MAC address only if you plan to use wireless access on campus. Therefore, you will not be able to register your MAC address from home, nor will you need to. Also, your registration will take effect at both the IU Bloomington and IUPUI campuses; thus, you only need to register once in order to use your laptop at either campus.
To successfully register the MAC address of your wireless computer, please observe the following caveats:
- On the computer you wish to register, connect to the IU wireless
network (i.e., make sure you aren't connected to the network with a
- Do not make a VPN connection, because the registration site won't be able to see your MAC address if you do.
Once you've observed the items above, do the following:
- When you've logged into your computer, if you are at IUB, go to:
At IUPUI, go to:http://dhcp.iupui.edu/
Note: Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac does not work at the above site; you might use Safari.
- Follow the instructions on the page that
- It is important that you wait five minutes and then restart your computer; you may not receive a good IP address until you do.
If you encounter any difficulties with the registration process, contact the UITS Support Center in Bloomington at 812-855-6789 or in Indianapolis at 317-274-4357.
Last modified on November 01, 2008.