Handling Imail or Umail login problems
If you are having trouble logging into Imail or Umail, first check to be sure you are using the correct URL:
- If you have graduated from Indiana University, you may need to
access your email directly from Google or Microsoft.
- When logging into Outlook Live directly, use your Windows Live ID
password (not your Network ID passphrase).
- When logging into your Imail account for the first time, use your
university ID number (not your Network ID
passphrase) for "default Imail password". You'll be required to
change the default password to a new one.
- In Umail, if you choose the
Set basic HTML as default viewoption, the next time you try to log in at https://umail.iu.edu , you'll be redirected to the external Umail login page (https://mail.google.com/a/umail.iu.edu), and you won't be able to log in with your IU credentials. If this happens, log into the external Umail login page using your Google vendor password, and set the default view back to standard. If you don't know your vendor password, you can reset it (see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Umail?).
If you're still having trouble, check the following, in order:
- Make sure you have entered your Network ID username and passphrase
correctly, and your
Caps Lockkey is not on. You can try changing your passphrase using the Passphrase Maintenance utility.
- You must have cookies enabled for
Imail or Umail to work properly. For help, see the "Viewing and
controlling cookies" section of What are cookies?
Note: For Imail, you also need to have Java enabled. Check your browser's help for instructions.
- If you are using Umail, you may need to unlock your
account using your IU username and Umail password.
- Check the Account Management
Service (AMS) to see if your account was created successfully; see
How can I find out which UITS computing accounts I have? Look for an account on Imail or Umail. If you don't
see one, click
create more accounts, and follow the instructions for creating an Imail or Umail account.
Note: Imail and Umail accounts are available only to IU students. Faculty and staff must create Cyrus or IU Exchange accounts.
- If you have a personal firewall set up on your
computer, you may need to change some settings to allow access to
Imail or Umail. Consult the documentation for your firewall software.
- If you are connecting through an outside Internet service
provider (ISP), check with your ISP to see if a firewall or any
blocking measures could be preventing you from accessing Imail or
- Spyware on your computer may be blocking access to Imail or Umail. For help, see What is Windows Defender and how do I use it?
If you continue to have problems logging into Imail or Umail, contact your campus Support Center. When doing so, provide an alternate email address, if possible, so a consultant can more easily contact you.
Last modified on January 03, 2013.