What should I do immediately after installing Windows 7?
After your installation of Windows 7 is complete, immediately do the following to increase security and enable smooth performance:
Create user accounts: Each person who will be
using the computer should have an individual account, along with a
password for each account. Create only one administrator account.
Install/update antivirus software: At IU, follow
the instructions in In Windows, how do I safely upgrade to the latest security software?
Activate Windows: Click
Start. In the search bar, type
Activate Windows. Click the icon by that name. For more, see Activate Windows 7 on this computer.
Note: If you're using Boot Camp, use the Windows 7 Activation Assistant instead of following the instructions above; see At IU, what is the Windows 7 Activation Assistant, and how do I use it?
Install Windows updates: This function is on by
default, and will begin downloading updates as soon as you are
connected to the Internet. Follow any prompts for installation. The
process will require that you shut down your computer in order for the
updates to properly install. You can always see when your computer is
ready to install such an update, since the
Shut Downicon will have a yellow update shield on it. For more, see Use your Start menu to check for updates.
Install needed drivers: Driver
software allows your computer to communicate with its physical
For help, see Microsoft Support.
Note: Boot Camp users can install drivers for their Windows 7 partition by following the instructions in Installing Windows 7 on a Mac (
.docx) rather than downloading from the manufacturer.
Download IUware software: Many applications are
free for IU students, faculty, and staff via IUware.
- The IU Wireless Wizard helps your computer connect to the IU Secure wireless network.
- The IU Printer Finder allows your computer to print wirelessly to IU networked printers.
- Juniper SSL VPN 7.3 allows you to join the IU network while not on campus.
- Most computers can run the Office 2010 package; however, if you are using an older computer (a computer with 1 GB of RAM, for example), the 2010 version may run slowly. In those cases, you may prefer the Office 2007 version.
- The UITS Network Repair Tool is useful if you develop networking problems in the future.
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector helps you identify and manage the software installed on your computer.
Browse through the IUware site to find additional software.
Install core Windows applications:
There are many additional free programs and updates you should install:
- An anti-malware program such as Malwarebytes (choose the free version) or Windows Defender from IUware. These are different from antivirus programs, and should be run on a weekly basis.
- Adobe Flash Player updates, which helps animations and web videos display as they should
- VLC Media Player, a free, open-source media player
You have two options for installing such programs:
Ninite allows easy installation
of many applications in succession. Check the box next to the
applications you wish to install, and then click
Get Installerat the bottom. Continue to follow the prompts.
Note: Do not choose software you can get from IUware (e.g., the Office or Adobe programs); Ninite is a non-IU, third-party application which IU does not support.
- You can choose to do manual installations of desired software.
Note: Do not choose to install additional software along with your chosen software, e.g., deselect options such as "Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus", or toolbars a site may offer.
Last modified on January 16, 2014.