ARCHIVED: In Microsoft Outlook, what is AutoArchive, and how do I use it?
Note: AutoArchive is not available in versions of Outlook for Mac OS X.
AutoArchive is a feature in Outlook that moves old mail and
other items to a separate personal folder (
.pst) file on
your computer's hard drive, or a workgroup or departmental server. By
default, it will prompt you before archiving items every 14 days
and delete expired email messages from your mailbox.
The Outlook folders with AutoArchive automatically activated, along with their default aging periods, are:
- Calendar: Six months
- Tasks: Six months
- Journal: Six months
- Sent Items: Two months
- Deleted Items: Two months
Drafts folders do not have AutoArchive activated
Setting up AutoArchive and accessing your messages in Outlook
In Outlook 2010
- Select the folder to AutoArchive.
- From the top, select the tab.
- In the Ribbon, select .
- Choose from the following:
Outlook will then archive items based on the settings you chose.
In earlier versions of Outlook
- From the menu, select .
- Click the tab, and then click .
- Select or deselect the first checkbox to enable or disable
AutoArchive. To change the settings for individual folders (e.g.,
Tasks) right-click the folder and choose , and then click the tab.
Accessing messages stored by AutoArchive
In Outlook 2010, your archive folders will be listed under "Archives" in the navigation pane of your Folder List.
In Outlook 2007 and 2003, your archive folders will be listed under "Archive Folders" in the navigation pane of your Folder list.
Manually archiving folders
In addition, you can manually transfer old items to a personal folder. Outlook can archive all types of items, such as Microsoft Excel spreadsheets or Word documents, but only if these files are stored in an email folder.
- In Outlook 2010, from the menu, select and then .
- In Outlook 2007 and 2003, from the menu, select .
This is document aead in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2012-11-16.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.