What should I do before I contact the UITS Support Center for help?
On this page:
- Check the Knowledge Base first
- Contacting the Support Center
- Getting help for new computer hardware or software
Check the Knowledge Base first
UITS Support Center consultants initiate Knowledge Base content in response to questions users ask. Searching this Knowledge Base for help with your problem before calling or emailing the Support Center may give you a speedier answer (enter your search terms in the box at the top of this page). For more, see the Knowledge Base search help.
Contacting the Support Center
If the Knowledge Base does not address your problem or if you need further assistance, contact your campus Support Center. Provide as much of the following information as possible. If you call, have the information available, be at your computer, and have the computer turned on.
- What operating system are you using (e.g., Windows 8x, 7)?
- If the problem has to do with software, what version of that software are you using (e.g., Microsoft Outlook 2013)?
- It often helps to provide some context, for example:
- What you were trying to do
- Whether you've ever been able to do this, and if so, if anything about your system has changed since then
- If you've done anything to try to fix the problem
- How long the problem has been occurring
- If you received an error message, note its exact text. Some error messages have a
programname.execaused an invalid page fault / general protection fault in module XXXXX at xxxx:xxxxxxxx"
This is followed by a list of numbers called the register dump. Copy the complete error message for the Support Center, but ignore the long register dump.
button. Click the button, if available, to show a more complete error similar to this:
Getting help for new computer hardware or software
If your computer is less than a year old and you have problems with its DVD drive, wireless card, network card, monitor, or any other hardware or software that came with the computer, contact the computer vendor. A technical support phone number should be available in the computer's user manual. For new computers, free technical support and warranty coverage are usually available for a limited time (usually one year). If you were sold a computer with faulty components, contact the vendor right away.
If you have problems with the software you purchased for your computer, contact the technical support number for that software package before contacting the Support Center. Software companies often provide either 30 to 90 days worth of free support, or free help for the first one or two questions.
This is document agcz in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-01-11 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.