In Windows, how do I change the name of my computer?
- For computers in campus housing, UITS recommends you enter either
bl-rh-username(at IU Bloomington) or
in-rh-username(at IUPUI), replacing
usernamewith your Network ID username. If you have more than one computer connected on campus, you can place a single-digit number after the username. For example, at IUB, if your username were
dvader, your first computer name would be
bl-rh-dvaderand the second would be
- For computer naming conventions in IU departments, see At IU, what naming conventions does UITS recommend for Windows computers and groups?
- In Windows 10, 8.x, or 7, log into your computer with administrative rights.
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
Note:For help navigating, see Getting around in Windows.
- Click the switch the view to Large or Small icons). icon. (If you do not see the icon, in the upper right corner,
- In the "System" window that appears, under the "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings" section, on the right, click .
- You will see the "System Properties" window. At the top of the window, click the tab.
- Click . You will see your computer's name listed.
- In the space marked "Computer Name:", delete the text and enter a new name for your computer.
- Click , then again, and then close the "System" window.
This is document ajnx in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-08-12 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.