Oncourse Chat Room: Overview
What it does
You can use the Chat Room tool for real-time, unstructured conversations among site participants who are logged into the site at the same time.
Instructors can easily create an "Online Office Hours" chat room for student questions and answers. Dispersed collaboration groups can use Chat as a space to have conversations across distances or catch up with conversations they may have missed.
Multiple rooms: Site leaders can useto add rooms to accommodate more than one discussion. Participants can click to access other discussions.
Default room: Site leaders can useto specify which room is visible by default to participants accessing the tool.
Display: Changes you make inalso apply to how the Chat Room features appear to site participants.
Clear history: Permanently delete all messages from a chat room.
Things to consider
- The Chat Room tool alerts users to other participants who have entered the same chat room. This way, users know who is available to talk.
- Site leaders can specify how many chat messages are archived and for how long, or they can allow participants to configure their own archive settings.
- The Chat Room tool does not provide a way to chat privately. By default, all messages are visible to all participants. However, you can remove read access for a particular role, and thereby for all participants with that role, by modifying the Chat Room permissions.
For help documentation about the Chat Room tool, see Chat Room.
This is document arcz in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-05-06.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.