At IU, what is Umail?
Indiana University has partnered with Google to launch Umail to provide email and other online communications services for IU students.
On this page:
Eligibility and creating an account
All students are eligible to create Umail accounts by following the appropriate instructions below. Graduate students are eligible to create Exchange accounts instead of or in addition to Umail accounts.
- If you're a newly admitted student, create a Umail account using the Starter Kit; see About creating first computing accounts for admitted students, faculty, staff, and affiliates.
- If you're currently a student, create a Umail account by following the instructions in At IU, if I already have some computing accounts, how do I get others?
IU faculty and staff are not eligible for Umail accounts, and should continue to use existing mail services (i.e., IU Exchange).
Students with a Umail account can access some Google Apps, such as Alerts, Calendar, Drive, Scholar, and Sites. Others, including Blogger, Books, Chrome Integration, Hangouts, Maps, Wallet, and YouTube, are unavailable with a Umail login for various reasons, including contractual limitations between IU and Google. However, additional apps are available via Google at IU.
To use a Umail account with available Google Apps, enter
firstname.lastname@example.org as your username and your Umail vendor password; see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail?
Accessing your mail
- Go to Email (Umail) in One.IU, and click .
- You can also access your account directly at:
- Additionally, you can access your email (and additional, advanced features) via Google
Apps for Indiana University using your vendor password. If you don't know your vendor (i.e., Google) password, see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail?
For information about supported operating systems and browsers, see Supported browsers.
- As another option, you can use an email client to read your Umail; see Configuring an email client for Imail or Umail.
Things to consider about Imail and Umail
- Your full IU email address contains your IU username and your campus domain regardless of the system you choose, because your preferred email address determines where you receive IU mail. Your reply-to address, however, reflects the mail service (e.g.,
- You are required to establish an IU email account and read email sent from IU faculty and administration; see official communications information.
- You manage your mail account settings, such as your preferred email address, through various tasks in One.IU.
- While you are an enrolled student, advertisements do not appear in the IU-customized systems. After you graduate, you will have the option of keeping your account, at which time ads will appear.
- Any accounts with Google Gmail or Microsoft email that you already have or create in the future remain separate from your Umail or Imail account.
This is document avth in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-04-27 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.