At IU, what is Imail?
If you are an IU student who needs IU email, you should create a Umail account.
On this page:
Accessing your mail
Your Imail username and password
You log into your Imail account using a vendor-specific username and password. You do not use your IU Network ID username and passphrase to log into Imail; however, your Network ID username is incorporated into your Imail username in this manner:
For example, someone with the Network ID username
kylosolo would have the following Imail username:
Initially, your Imail password is set to "Iu", plus your ten-digit University ID number (e.g.,
Iu##########). When you log into Imail the first time, you will be required to change the default password to a new one. Follow all the prompts (e.g., enter a third-party email address, set up a security question) for future password recovery.
If you cannot log in, reset your vendor password; see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail?
You can access your Imail account via the web, or you can configure an email client to read your Imail:
- Web access: To use the complete set of Imail features (e.g., access to mail forwarding and storage) on the web, you must use Internet Explorer 7 or later. Access your Imail account at either of the following addresses:
- IU's Imail portal:
As of January 12, 2016, Microsoft has ended support for Internet Explorer versions prior to version 11, unless you are running Windows Vista SP2 or certain versions of Windows Server; for a complete list of exceptions, see Microsoft Support Lifecycle. UITS strongly recommends that you upgrade to a new operating system if your current system does not support Internet Explorer 11 and is not on Microsoft's list of exceptions.
Things to consider about Imail and Umail
- Your full
IU email address contains your
Network ID username and your campus
regardless of the system you choose, because your preferred email address determines
where you receive IU mail. Your reply-to address, however, reflects the mail
- You are required to establish an IU email account and read email sent from IU faculty and administration; see official communications information.
- You manage your mail account settings, such as your preferred email address, through various tasks in One.IU.
- While you are an enrolled student, advertisements do not appear in the IU-customized systems. After you graduate, you will have the option of keeping your account, at which time ads will appear.
- Any accounts with Google Gmail or Microsoft email that you already have or create in the future remain separate from your Umail or Imail account.
This is document avti in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-05-06 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.