At IU, what is Imail?
On this page:
Eligibility and creating an account
Users can no longer create Imail accounts. Students who need Indiana University email accounts should create Umail accounts instead.
Accessing your mail
When logging into Imail for the first time, you will be prompted to provide your Imail vendor password. This is not your Network
ID passphrase; instead, your Imail vendor password is initially set to "Iu" plus your ten-digit University ID number (
Iu##########). You will be required to change the default password to a new one. Follow all the prompts (e.g., enter a third-party email address, set up a security question) for future password recovery.
If you cannot log in, reset your vendor password; see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail?
You have several options for accessing your Imail account:
- Go to Application Status in One.IU, and click .
- You also can access your account directly via the web: Note:
To use the complete set of Imail web client features, including access to mail forwarding and storage, you must use Internet Explorer 7 or later.
As of January 12, 2016, Microsoft has ended support for Internet Explorer versions prior to version 11, unless you are running Windows Vista SP2 or certain versions of Windows Server; for a complete list of exceptions, see Microsoft Support Lifecycle. UITS strongly recommends that you upgrade to a new operating system if your current system does not support Internet Explorer 11 and is not on Microsoft's list of exceptions.
- Additionally, you can access your account through Microsoft Office 365:
You must log in as
email@example.com use your vendor password instead of your IU passphrase.
- You can use an email client to read your Imail; see Configuring an email client for Imail or Umail.
Things to consider about Imail and Umail
- Your full
IU email address contains your
Network ID username and your campus
regardless of the system you choose, because your preferred email address determines
where you receive IU mail. Your reply-to address, however, reflects the mail
- You are required to establish an IU email account and read email sent from IU faculty and administration; see official communications information.
- You manage your mail account settings, such as your preferred email address, through various tasks in One.IU.
- While you are an enrolled student, advertisements do not appear in the IU-customized systems. After you graduate, you will have the option of keeping your account, at which time ads will appear.
- Any accounts with Google Gmail or Microsoft email that you already have or create in the future remain separate from your Umail or Imail account.
This is document avti in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-02-09.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.