At IU, what is Imail?
On this page:
Eligibility and creating an account
Users can no longer create Imail accounts. Students who need Indiana University email accounts should create Umail accounts instead.
Accessing your mail
Important: When logging into Imail for the first time, you will be prompted to provide your Imail vendor password. This is not your Network ID passphrase; instead, your Imail vendor password is initially set to "Iu" plus your ten-digit University ID number (
Iu##########). You will be required to change the default password to a new one. Follow all the prompts (e.g., enter a third-party email address, set up a security question) for future password recovery.
If you cannot log in, reset your vendor password; see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail?
You have several options for accessing your Imail account:
- You also can access your account directly via the web:
Note: To use the complete set of Imail web client features, including access to mail forwarding and storage, you must use Internet Explorer 7 or later.
- Additionally, you can access your account through Microsoft Office 365:
You must log in as
firstname.lastname@example.org use your vendor password instead of your IU passphrase.
- You can use an email client to read your Imail; see Configuring an email client for Imail or Umail.
Migrating your mail
For instructions on moving mail from a Cyrus (Webmail) account to your Imail account, see At IU, how can I move my mail from Cyrus (Webmail) to another email system?
Things to consider about Imail and Umail
- Your full IU email address contains
your Network ID username and your campus domain
regardless of the system you choose, because your preferred email
address determines where you receive IU mail. Your reply-to address,
however, reflects the mail service (e.g.,
- You are required to establish an IU email account and read email sent from IU faculty and administration; see official communications information.
- You manage your mail account settings, such as your preferred email address, through the Account Management Service (AMS).
- While you are an enrolled student, advertisements do not appear in the IU-customized systems. After you graduate, you will have the option of keeping your account, at which time ads will appear.
- Any accounts with Google Gmail or Microsoft email that you already have or create in the future remain separate from your Umail or Imail account.
Important: Many students are employed in some capacity by Indiana University and use email in their employment, either to communicate with their co-workers and supervisors, or to carry out their job responsibilities. Because Imail and Umail accounts are hosted by vendors external to IU, student employees may use these accounts to conduct university business only if they do not receive or transmit any institutional data considered sensitive via these accounts. See Student use of email for work-related purposes.
This is document avti in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-10-17.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.