ARCHIVED: What is Symantec/Norton AntiVirus software, and where can I get it?
Note: For information about Symantec's newer antivirus product, see ARCHIVED: What is Symantec Endpoint Protection?
Symantec/Norton AntiVirus (SAV for Windows, NAV for Mac OS X) is a virus protection program distributed by Symantec Corporation, offering effective protection features including infected file quarantine, online virus protection updates, and an automatic scheduler. SAV/NAV starts up with your operating system, and runs in the background. It checks all vulnerable files for infection by viruses and worms by looking for their identifying signatures and comparing them to known viruses it has on file. When it detects an infected file, it notifies you and manages the infection according to your preferences.
SAV/NAV software is available to Indiana University students, faculty, and staff free of cost via IUware.
To keep your antivirus software running effectively:
- Always run the latest version of SAV/NAV software for your operating system, being sure to upgrade safely; see In Windows, how do I safely upgrade to the latest security software?
- Automatically update your virus pattern files daily, and scan your
- Windows: ARCHIVED: In Symantec/Norton AntiVirus for Windows, how do I schedule automatic LiveUpdates and virus scans?
- Mac OS and OS X: ARCHIVED: In Symantec Endpoint Protection for Mac OS X, how do I schedule automatic LiveUpdates and virus scans?
SAV/NAV uses the LiveUpdate feature to update your virus pattern files to the newest version, and then uses these files to scan your computer for viruses.
Note: Be sure to have the latest SAV/NAV version installed, as older versions may not be able to use LiveUpdate in Windows. For other security reasons, UITS also recommends upgrading your operating system. See Recommended Windows operating systems at IU.
Additionally, local support providers (LSPs) can set up a Symantec Endpoint Protection Enterprise server to deploy Automated Virus Definitions to the computers they administer.
This is document agzf in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2013-01-03.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.