ARCHIVED: In Symantec/Norton AntiVirus for Windows, how do I schedule automatic LiveUpdates and virus scans?
Note: The University Information Security Office (UISO) recommends that you run the latest version of Symantec/Norton AntiVirus (SAV/NAV) software (available to Indiana University students, faculty, and staff free of charge via IUware) for your operating system. Be sure to upgrade safely, update your virus definitions daily, and scan your computer weekly. See In Windows, how do I safely upgrade to the latest security software?
In Symantec/Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, and 10.x, to schedule a time to automatically update your virus pattern files:
From themenu, select or , then or , and then or .
Alternatively, in the notification area of the Taskbar (typically on the lower right of your screen), right-click the icon (a shield) and select .
- From the menu, choose .
- Make sure is checked. Click .
- You can now schedule a specific time for updates to occur. UITS recommends setting the "Frequency" to . When you are done, click .
To schedule a virus scan after your virus pattern files have been updated:
- Launch SAV/NAV as in step 1 above.
- From the
In 10.x, you will next be prompted to choose the type of scan. Do so, and click. menu, choose .
- In the "Name:" field, type the name of this scan (for
Weekly Scan). Click .
- Make sure is checked. You can now schedule how often and at what time of the day you want the scan to occur. UITS recommends setting the "Frequency" to . Click when done.
- Note: This step may not appear in 10.x.
You will be prompted to select the drives you want to scan; UITS recommends scanning all your hard drives. Check the box next to each drive you want to scan. Thebutton will allow you to configure what file types you wish to scan and what actions you wish to take upon finding a virus. UITS recommends leaving these at the default settings.
- Click to finish scheduling your virus scan.
After you have followed these instructions, SAV/NAV will run LiveUpdate (which updates your virus definitions, sometimes called protection files or pattern files) and scan for viruses automatically at the time and day you set. If you are connected via Ethernet or wireless, LiveUpdate will use that existing Internet connection. If you are connected by modem and have a PPP connection, LiveUpdate will automatically get the updates from Symantec. If LiveUpdate prompts you to choose how to connect to the Symantec web site (in order to obtain the latest virus pattern files), choose the default setting . (A less commonly used option is to set LiveUpdate to get the information by dialing the Symantec update phone number; in this case, you will be billed for a long distance call.)
Note: You may also wish to configure SAV to scan for extended threats such as spyware and adware. See ARCHIVED: How can SAV for Windows scan for spyware and adware, as well as for viruses?
This is document agzb in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2013-01-07 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.