ARCHIVED: In Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, how do I check the version number of the program and the age of the virus pattern update?
Note: The University Information Security Office (UISO) recommends that you run the latest version of Symantec virus protection software (available to IU students, faculty, and staff free of charge via IUware) for your operating system; See In Windows, how do I safely upgrade to the latest security software? Be sure to upgrade safely, update your virus definitions daily, and scan your computer weekly. Check the software help for instructions.
To check which version of SAV/NAV/Endpoint is installed on your computer:
- In Endpoint, from the button (in earlier versions, the button), select , and your version number will be listed in the resulting window.
- In SAV, in the right panel of the main window, beneath "Program versions", you will see "Program" and "Scan engine" version numbers.
- In NAV, from the
About Norton AntiViruswindow, select the tab. menu, select or, in the
To check the date of your virus pattern files:
- In Endpoint, in the center of the main window, beneath "Virus and Spyware Protection" (in earlier versions, "Antivirus and Antispyware Protection"), you will see the date and version number of your virus/antispyware definitions file.
- In SAV, in the right panel of the main window, beneath "Virus Definition File", you will see the version number and date of your virus definition file.
- In NAV 2000, from the menu, select , and then click (this is probably the default selection). To the right, beneath "Norton AntiVirus Status", you will see the age of your virus definitions.
- In some older versions of NAV, you will find the status of your virus definitions listed in the main NAV window. If this information is not readily apparent, click , and then . You should then see the status of your virus definitions, along with your NAV version number.
Mac OS X
To check which version of SAV/NAV/Endpoint is installed on your Mac:
- In your
Applicationsfolder, locate the Symantec or Norton AntiVirus application you have installed on your Mac.
- Right-click, or hold down the
Controlkey and click on the program icon. Then, select from the context menu.
- In the "General" section of the
Infowindow, you'll find the version number of the application.
This is document ahaj in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2013-01-03 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.