ARCHIVED: In IU Webmail, how do I use folders?
To work with your folders in IU Webmail, you must first open the Folder Navigator. In the header bar at the top of the Webmail screen, click .
Note: It is not possible to download folders in Webmail.
The Folder Navigator will display a "tree" of all the folders in your account; click the(plus sign) next to "Inbox" to expand the tree, if necessary. To view subfolders within one of your folders, click the (plus sign) to expand that folder.
To view the contents of an existing folder, from the folder list, click the name of the folder to the right of the folder icon. You'll then see a listing of the folder's contents.
Following is a brief description of several of the options available within the folder content list view:
- Viewing a message: To view a particular message, beneath the "From" or "Subject" header, select the underlined link.
- Deleting a message: To delete one or more
messages, check the box to the left of each message. Once you've
selected all the messages you'd like to delete, click
To permanently remove from your account a message that has been marked for deletion, on the right side of the screen, click.
Warning: Deleting is permanent. You cannot retrieve a message you've purged.. Alternatively, you can open the message, and at the
top of the page, click . The message will appear in the
list with a line through it, indicating that it has been marked for
- Responding to a message: To reply to, forward, or redirect a message, open it, and at the top of the page, click , , , or . When you forward a message, you can add commentary to it; when you redirect, however, you cannot.
- Viewing full headers: For detailed information about the message, from within the open item, select full headers of the message. Close this window to return to the abbreviated view. . This will open a new window displaying the
- Navigating to other messages: When you have a message open, you can read the previous or the next message in the list by clicking the left- or right-pointing arrow, located on the right edge of the screen.
- Returning to the list of messages: When you have
an item open, to return to the list of items, on the right side of the
foldernameis the name of the folder. , where
- Moving and copying messages: To move or copy messages to another folder, from the message list, check the boxes for all the messages you want to move to the same folder. On the right side of the screen, from the drop-down menu, select the folder to which you wish to move the marked messages. Then click to remove the messages from the current folder and place them in the selected folder. Click if you wish to retain the messages in the current folder and place an additional copy in the selected folder.
Other folder options
Several other options are available for working with folders, including:
- Creating folders: To create new folders:
- From the Folder Navigator, check the box next to the folder in which you'd like to create a new folder. If you do not select a folder, the new one will be created as a subfolder of your Inbox.
- From the drop-down menu at the top or bottom of the folder list, select .
- In the dialog box that appears, type a name for your new folder, and then click .
- Renaming folders: To rename a folder, while in the Folder Navigator, check the box for that folder. Then, from the drop-down menu, select . In the dialog box that appears, type a new name for the folder, and then click . You can rename only one folder at a time.
- Emptying folders: To delete all the messages in one or more folders, while in the Folder Navigator, check the box next to each folder you wish to empty. Then, from the drop-down menu, select . In the dialog box that appears, click to permanently delete the contents of the selected folder(s).
- Checking folders for new mail: To check to see if new mail has arrived in one or more folders, while in the Folder Navigator, check the box next to each folder you wish to check. Then, from the drop-down menu, select . The screen will refresh when Webmail has finished checking your account on the mail server.
- Deleting folders: To delete one or more folders,
while in the Folder Navigator, check the box for each folder you wish
to delete. To select a subfolder for deletion, expand the folder that
contains the subfolder by clicking the
Warning: You cannot retrieve a folder once it is deleted. (plus sign) next to
the folder icon. After you've selected all the folders you want to
delete, from the drop-down menu, select
. Click twice to delete the
selected folders and their contents.
- Subscribing to Shared Folders: To subscribe to one or more Shared Folders, while in the Folder Navigator, click . From the list of available Shared Folders, check the boxes of the folders you want, and then use the drop-down list to select .
- Accessing the
Deletedfolder: You must first request and pay for an email recovery in order to access the
Deletedfolder; see At IU, how do I recover files or email deleted from UITS central systems? The
Deletedfolder appears as a Shared Folder. After your recovery request has been processed, follow the instructions above (see Subscribing to Shared Folders) to view the
Note: You must use theoption to move messages from the
Deletedfolder. You cannot use the option; see the instructions above for Moving and copying messages.
This is document ajhx in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-10-06.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.