About Box at IU
On this page:
- About the service
- Main features
- Getting started and how to find help
- More information
- About Box and Internet2
About the service
Important: Box at Indiana University is a flexible storage service and collaboration tool that is appropriate for use with institutional data classified as Public, University-internal, or Restricted, as well as with personal files. Box is not appropriate for storing or sharing any sensitive institutional data elements classified as Critical, including electronic protected health information (ePHI) regulated by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). For more, see What types of data are appropriate for my enterprise Box account?
- View files of many types, including images and audio/video; for a full list, see Box support's What file extension types can be viewed by Box's Content Preview?
- Access content through all major web browsers (i.e., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and through mobile devices running iOS, Android, and BlackBerry
- Access through Microsoft Office applications (Windows only)
- Share files and folders while controlling the level of access others have, with a range of permissions from view-only to full editing and collaboration rights
- Comment on files
- Create simple workflows using assigned tasks
- Sync files between your desktop and other devices, and access them even when offline
Enterprise Box accounts are available to all current students, faculty, and staff.
For group and organizational account eligibility, see Can I create a group (non-personal) Box account?
Getting started and how to find help
- Getting started with Box at IU
- How do I securely set up my enterprise Box account? (Watch a video describing these steps.)
- Best practices for Box at IU
- What kinds of tasks can I accomplish with my enterprise Box account?
- For Box at IU, where can I get help?
- Enterprise Box help menu
- How does Box compare to other enterprise and commercial storage solutions?
- Educause's Above-Campus Services: Shaping the Promise of Cloud Computing for Higher Education
- Internet2 Box announcement
- Internet2 Box FAQ
- Box's Security white paper
About Box and Internet2
Box is a commercial online content storage, sharing, and collaboration service offering free personal Box accounts to the public since 2005. Box is part of the Internet2 NET+ Services program that provides "above the network" services to Internet2 member organizations, including higher education, government, and industry. Internet2 chose Box after reviewing many storage and file management services.
Box and Internet2 have partnered to provide enterprise (university-wide) Box service to Internet2 member institutions that are also InCommon subscribers, for an additional fee to the institution. A group of early adopter institutions, including IU, partnered to pilot the enterprise service.
This is document bbox in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-10-23.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.