About Box at IU
On this page:
- About the service
- Main features
- Getting started and how to find help
- More information
- About Box and Internet2
About the service
The IU Box service provides a simple, secure way to share and store files and folders online. Box consolidates your content in a single location, easily accessible from anywhere, on any device. You can create files and folders, share them using a direct link, invite others to collaborate, and continue to revise and review your content. Though similar in appearance to other consumer services such as Dropbox, Box can directly integrate with existing IU systems (e.g., accounts, CAS for single sign-on with your Network ID) and security. Your Box account quota is unlimited.
- View files of many types, including images and audio/video; for a full list, see Box support's What file extension types can be viewed by Box's Content Preview?
- Access content through all major web browsers (i.e., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and through mobile devices running iOS, Android, and BlackBerry
Note:As of January 12, 2016, Microsoft has ended support for Internet Explorer versions prior to version 11, unless you are running Windows Vista SP2 or certain versions of Windows Server; for a complete list of exceptions, see Microsoft Support Lifecycle. UITS strongly recommends that you upgrade to a new operating system if your current system does not support Internet Explorer 11 and is not on Microsoft's list of exceptions.
- Access through Microsoft Office applications (Windows only)
- Share files and folders while controlling the level of access others have, with a range of permissions from view-only to full editing and collaboration rights
- Comment on files
- Create simple workflows using assigned tasks
- Sync files between your desktop and other devices, and access them even when offline
IU Box accounts are available to all current students, faculty, and staff.
For group and organizational account eligibility, see How can I create a group (non-personal) Box account?
Getting started and how to find help
- Getting started with Box at IU
- How do I securely set up my IU Box account? (Watch a video describing these steps.)
- Managing files and folders in Box
- Best practices for Box at IU
- What kinds of tasks can I accomplish with my IU Box account?
- For Box at IU, where can I get help?
- Box at IU help menu
- How does Box compare to other enterprise and commercial storage solutions?
- Educause's Above-Campus Services: Shaping the Promise of Cloud Computing for Higher Education
- Internet2 Box announcement
- Internet2 Box FAQ
- Box's Security white paper
About Box and Internet2
Box is a commercial online content storage, sharing, and collaboration service offering free personal Box accounts to the public since 2005. Box is part of the Internet2 NET+ Services program that provides "above the network" services to Internet2 member organizations, including higher education, government, and industry. Internet2 chose Box after reviewing many storage and file management services.
Box and Internet2 have partnered to provide enterprise (university-wide) Box service to Internet2 member institutions that are also InCommon subscribers, for an additional fee to the institution. A group of early adopter institutions, including IU, partnered to pilot the enterprise service.
This is document bbox in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-05-16.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.