Completed project: Kumo: IU Cloud Storage as a service for other institutions
Primary UITS contact: John Hoerr
Completed: September 4, 2014
Description: Cloud storage provides a simple solution for mapping a user's storage of choice to both virtual and conventional applications. It provides a "bring your own data" service that permits students, faculty, and staff to use whatever storage provider they prefer (local or cloud-based) and have their settings always be their default when they log in to lab systems and virtual applications.
Although developed for IU, UITS is also able to offer cloud storage as a solution to other schools by using a smart client and hosting this as a cloud-based service.
IU will provide licensing institutions with:
- A client installer
- An access broker service installer
- A cloud-based portal for setting/storing user preferences, administration, and access tokens
Participating schools will only need to have the ability to:
- Federate (either Shibboleth or ADFS)
- Install the client
- Operate (and secure!) a basic Windows server, and install the access broker service
Outcome: A multi-tenant service that provides schools with a simple, easy-to-use, low overhead solution for meeting the users' storage needs.
Milestones and status:
- January 2012: Development started
- August 2012: Production and rollout of 1.0 with support for Box and Dropbox
- November 2012: Added support for Google Drive and OneDrive
- May 2013: Re-architected service to enable federation and use by other institutions
- June 2013: Working 2.0 prototype established. Initial security review completed
- July 2013: Internal testing begins
- October 2013: Release. Begin onboarding partner institutions for external testing
- July 2014: 2.1 release, focusing on performance, stability, and notification enhancements
- August 2014: First partner institutions enter wide release
- Eliminates the need to provide and manage local storage for users of conventional or virtual desktops
- Integrates with both traditional and virtual apps so that storage is always mapped according to the user's preferences regardless of the device used
- Use of integrated authentication eliminates repeated entry of credentials.
- Fixes the Citrix problem of "locating my files" on virtual systems
- Simple to deploy
- Kumo service summary
- Kumo documents (including service plan)
- What is IU Cloud Storage and how can I use it?
- Cloud Storage User FAQ
Client impact: This service will supercede the cloud storage system currently deployed.
- John Hoerr
- Patrick Keenan
- Brent Moberly
- John Grigutis
This is document bdiu in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-09-30 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.