About mixed content and how to view it
On this page:
- About mixed content
- Viewing blocked mixed content
- IU systems and mixed content
About mixed content
When you visit a secure web page (i.e., using HTTPS), your connection is encrypted with SSL. If the HTTPS page also includes content retrieved through a regular HTTP connection, the connection is only partially encrypted. This is called a web page with mixed content.
Viewing blocked mixed content
By default, mixed content is blocked in Internet Explorer (version 10+), Mozilla Firefox (version 23+) and Google Chrome (version 21+). When mixed content is blocked, you may see a blank page or a message saying that "Only secure content is displayed". To enable a browser to view blocked mixed content, follow the relevant instructions below.
To view mixed content in Internet Explorer:
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen, and click .
- The page will refresh and display any mixed content.
To view mixed content in Firefox:
- At the top of the page, to the left of the address bar, click the shield icon ( ).
- In the pop-up window that appears, click the down arrow next to "Options", and select .
- The page will refresh and display any mixed content. The shield icon will be replaced with a warning symbol to indicate that the page is displaying both secure and non-secure items.
To view mixed content in Chrome:
- Click the shield icon on the right side of the address bar ( ).
- In the icon dialog box, click .
- The page will refresh and display any mixed content. The URL in the address bar will show
httpscrossed out to indicate that the page is displaying both secure and non-secure items.
IU systems and mixed content
Several Indiana University systems currently serve mixed content, which will need to be unblocked in the browser for full functionality.
Kuali Financial System (KFS)
Some Canvas courses may serve mixed content. When this is the case, students will need to set their browsers to view mixed content as described above. For additional information and resources for instructors, see External or "insecure" content: Strategies for helping students cope.
This is document bdny in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-09-01 00:32:15.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.