About your IU University ID

On this page:


To maintain the privacy of Social Security numbers, Indiana University creates a unique 10-digit identifier called the University ID (UID) for each student and employee. Your UID serves as the key to your student and/or employee record, and should be kept confidential. The Office of Admissions issues UIDs to students (normally included in admission letters sent via postal mail); University Human Resources issues UIDs (also know as Employee IDs) to IU employees.


At IU, student and employee UIDs are institutional data elements classified as University-internal. Student UIDs also are protected as student education records under the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For more, see About working with institutional data at IU.

Changes to UIDs

Over the weekend of June 26-28, 2015, PeopleSoft records for the Human Resources Management System (HRMS) and the Student Information System (SIS) were split into two databases, requiring that new UIDs generated in the SIS (generally students, but not always) now begin with the number two (e.g., 200xxxxxxx). You will keep your UID over time; it will not change, even if, for example, you began with IU as a student but later become an employee.

This change has no impact on previously existing UIDs.

Find your UID

Know your Network ID? Students Employees
  • If you know your passphrase:
    1. Go to University ID in One.IU, and click Start.
    2. If prompted, log in with your Network ID username and passphrase. Your UID will be listed above "Gender".
  • If you do not know your passphrase (this tool works only if you are a student with no employee status at IU):
    1. Go to Student University ID Lookup in One.IU, and click Start.
    2. Complete the form and click Submit. Your UID will be displayed at the top.
  1. Go to Paycheck details (if you're connecting from a mobile device, a mobile version is available), in One.IU, and click Start.
  2. If prompted, log in with your Network ID username and passphrase.
  3. In the Select Paycheck table, click one of the listed paychecks.

    In the pay advice that opens, your UID (labeled "Employee ID") will be listed next to your name.


Currently enrolled students or alumni: Contact your campus Office of the Registrar.

IU School of Medicine applicants or newly admitted students: Contact the Office of Medical Student Affairs (317-274-1965).

All other applicants or newly admitted students: Contact your campus Office of Admissions.

Contact your campus human resources office.

Sponsored affiliates (e.g., a contracted employee or consultant): Contact the faculty or staff sponsor who submitted your Affiliate request.

Related documents

This is document amuh in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2019-01-10 10:10:55.

Contact us

For help or to comment, email the UITS Support Center.