Guidelines for use of the STCs
Use of the Student Technology Centers (STCs) is intended for purposes related to Indiana University's mission of education, research, and public service. Students and faculty may use these computing resources, funded entirely by the student technology fee, only for purposes related to their studies, their instruction, and other university-sanctioned activities.
- Mute your cell phone.
- Use headphones when listening to music or audible software while working in an STC.
- Always log out before leaving a workstation.
- Don't leave a workstation for more than 15 minutes. If you take a break and are gone longer than 15 minutes, your workstation may be given to the next person waiting in line. If your workstation is locked and you have not returned after 15 minutes, the computer will be restarted and unsaved data will be lost.
- Lab telephones are not for public use when the lab is staffed. Some STCs provide phones for consultants to use to call other labs for assistance in answering customer questions or to contact their supervisors. During hours when labs aren't staffed, students may use the phones.
- Any of the following practices may result in the loss of
computing privileges or other disciplinary action:
- The use of a username other than your own to gain access to an STC workstation
- Any attempt to disconnect a workstation, any of its components, or any other computing hardware in an STC
- Any attempt to circumvent the network in an STC by connecting workstations together
- Any attempt to circumvent security in an STC
- Any unauthorized attempt to attach a device or cable of any kind to the back of a workstation. On most STC workstations, front panel connections for headphones and USB-compliant devices are readily available for the convenience of students. If the provided connection points are insufficient, see a consultant for assistance.
Anyone disturbing the academic environment of an STC may be asked to leave.
This is document avia in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-11-07 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.