What is SharePoint Online, and how do I request a site for my team or department at IU?
SharePoint was retired on December 5, 2016, with SharePoint Online as its replacement. If you are a SharePoint site owner whose site has been disabled, you can visit SharePoint Standard Farm Migration to request an extension/re-enable. SharePoint will be permanently disabled no later than June 2, 2017.SharePoint My Sites have also been disabled, and were permanently retired on April 3, 2017.
SharePoint Online is a cloud-based, university-wide service, providing sites for team collaboration and content management.
On this page:
- About SharePoint Online
- Requesting a new SharePoint Online site
- Migrating an existing site to SharePoint Online
About SharePoint Online
SharePoint Online includes the following features and capabilities:
- Collaboration and online content management
- Document repositories to store, track changes in, and expire documents based on defined policies
- Tight integration with Microsoft Office applications
- Centralized search that is secure and context-aware, and permits granular control
- Online document management providing easy collaboration and a centralized search
- Social computing tools that allow communities to work together using wikis, blogs, and RSS feeds
Requesting a new SharePoint Online site
You may request a SharePoint Online site using the SharePoint Online (SPO) site request form. Both Support Center Tier 2 staff and the SharePoint administrators will review the completed form.
Migrating an existing site to SharePoint Online
If you have an existing SharePoint site that you wish to migrate to SharePoint Online, you can either wait for UITS to contact you about the migration, or submit a request for a SharePoint Online site first.
UITS has a tool that can make migration easier, but anything you create in your new SharePoint Online site may be lost during the migration. If you wish to attempt migrating your site on your own, or if you want UITS to handle the migration and you accept the possibility of losing work, submit your request whenever you are ready.
This is document axpg in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2017-04-07 11:33:09.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.