What should I do immediately after installing Windows?
After Windows finishes installing, immediately do the following to increase security and enable smooth performance:
- Create user accounts: Each person who will use the computer should have an individual password-protected account. Create only one administrator account.
- Install/update antivirus software: See In Windows, how do I safely upgrade to the latest security software?
- Windows 7 users: Click
Activate Windows. Click the icon by that name. For more, see Activate Windows on this computer.
If you're using Boot Camp, use the Windows 7 Activation Assistant instead of following the instructions above; see At IU, what is the Windows 7 Activation Assistant, and how do I use it?. In the
search bar, type
- Install Windows updates: This function is on by default, and will begin downloading updates as soon as you are connected to the Internet. Follow prompts for installation. You will need to shut down your computer for the updates to properly install. Your computer is ready to install such an update whenever the icon displays a yellow update shield.
- Install needed drivers: Driver
software allows your computer to communicate with its physical
For help, see Microsoft Support.
If you're using Boot Camp, install drivers for your Windows 8 or Windows 7 partition by following the instructions in Installing Windows 7 on a Mac (
.docx), rather than downloading from the manufacturer.
- Download IUware software: Many applications are
free for IU students, faculty, and staff via IUware.
- The IU Secure Setup Wizard helps your computer connect to the IU Secure wireless network.
- Pulse Secure allows you to join the IU network when not on campus.
- Most computers can run the Office 2013 package; however, if you are using an older computer, the 2013 version may run slowly. In this case, you may prefer Office 2010.
- The UITS Network Repair Tool is useful if you develop networking problems in the future.
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector helps you identify and manage software installed on your computer.
Browse the IUware site to find additional software.
- Install core Windows applications:
There are many additional free programs and updates you should install:
- Adobe Flash Player updates, which helps animations and web videos display properly
- VLC media player, a free, open-source media player
You have two options for installing such programs:
- Ninite allows easy installation
of many applications in succession. Check the box next to the
applications you wish to install, and then click at the bottom. Follow the prompts.
Do not choose software you can get from IUware (e.g., the Office or Adobe programs); Ninite is a non-IU, third-party application which IU does not support.
- You can do manual installations of desired software.
Note:Do not install additional software along with your chosen software; e.g., deselect options such as "Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus" or toolbars a site may offer.
This is document bbsk in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-09-24.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.