What should I do immediately after installing Windows?
After Windows finishes installing, immediately do the following to increase security and enable smooth performance:
- Create user accounts: Each person who will use the computer should have an individual password-protected account. Create only one administrator account.
- Install/update antivirus software: See In Windows, how do I safely upgrade to the latest security software?
- Activate Windows: Click
Activate Windows. Click the icon by that name. For more, see Activate Windows on this computer.
. In the search bar, type
- Install Windows updates: This function is on by default, and will begin downloading updates as soon as you are connected to the Internet. Follow prompts for installation. You will need to shut down your computer for the updates to properly install. Your computer is ready to install such an update whenever the icon displays a yellow update shield.
- Install needed drivers: Driver software allows your computer to communicate with its physical devices.
For help, see Microsoft Support.
- Download IUware software: Many applications are free for IU students, faculty, and staff via IUware or Office 365.
- The IU Secure Setup Wizard helps your computer connect to the IU Secure wireless network.
- Pulse Secure allows you to join the IU network when not on campus.
- The Microsoft Office suite will allow you to view/edit documents and more. Office 2016 and Office 2013 are both available. See At IU, where can I find Microsoft Office?
- The UITS Network Repair Tool is useful if you develop networking problems in the future.
Browse the IUware site to find additional software.
- Install core Windows applications:
There are many additional free programs and updates you should install:
- Adobe Flash Player updates, which helps animations and web videos display properly
- VLC media player, a free, open-source media player
You have two options for installing such programs:
- Ninite allows easy installation of many applications in succession. Check the box next to the applications you wish to install, and then click at the bottom. Follow the prompts.
Do not choose software you can get from IUware (e.g., the Office or Adobe programs); Ninite is a non-IU, third-party application which IU does not support.
- You can do manual installations of desired software.
Note:Do not install additional software along with your chosen software; e.g., deselect options such as "Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus" or toolbars a site may offer.
This is document bbsk in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-03-31.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.