At IU, what is my email address?
firstname.lastname@example.org address is being given one, even if they already have another email address based on the campus affiliations listed here. Your primary email address will remain the same, unless you change it, and you will continue to receive mail sent to any of your addresses as usual. If
email@example.com not your primary email address, messages sent to
firstname.lastname@example.org be automatically forwarded to your primary email address.
At Indiana University, your email address is a combination of your Network ID username and one of nine IU-owned domains. Most people were provided a domain based on their campus affiliation when they created their first IU computing accounts. More recently, individuals have been given the option to choose between the
@iu.edu domain and the one associated with their campus.
Default email addresses by campus
|IPFW (Fort Wayne)||
IPFW users are not on the UITS email systems.
|IU East (Richmond)||
|IU Northwest (Gary)||
|IU South Bend||
|IU Southeast (New Albany)||
The email services available to you may vary based on your IU status. At all campuses except IPFW, undergraduate students create email accounts on the Umail system when they create their first accounts. Faculty and staff are hosted on the Exchange servers. Graduate students may create either a Umail account, an Exchange account, or both.
- If you are a student with an Imail or Umail account, your IU email address will match the one listed above, but your reply-to address will reflect the email service you use (e.g,
- Whether mail sent to you at the email address listed above actually ends up in your IU email account depends on the address you specify as your preferred email account; see At IU, how do I change my primary email address and set delivery for my email addresses?
Before setting your IU email address to forward to a non-IU service (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!), note:
- UITS cannot guarantee email delivery to non-IU accounts, delays in delivery can occur, and the UITS Support Center may not be able to help with some problems concerning non-IU accounts. If your email forwarding fails for any reason, you may miss important official communications sent to your IU address for which you are still responsible.
- Faculty, staff, residents, and students in HIPAA Affected Areas whose roles may require sharing protected health information (PHI) via email (e.g., Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Optometry) are not permitted to set up mail forwarding to outside accounts, as this could result in the violation of federal and state laws. For more, see HIPAA Privacy and Security.
This is document aaat in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-05-09.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.