At IU, what is my email address?
At Indiana University, your email address and the types of accounts available to you may vary based on your campus and IU status. At all campuses except IPFW, undergraduate students create email accounts on the Umail system when they create their first accounts. Faculty and staff are hosted on the Exchange servers. Graduate students may create either a Umail account, an Exchange account, or both.
Default email addresses by campus
|IPFW (Fort Wayne)||
IPFW users are not on the UITS email systems.
|IU East (Richmond)||
|IU Northwest (Gary)||
|IU South Bend||
|IU Southeast (New Albany)||
- Individuals may choose to create an
@iu.eduaddress; see How do I create a new IU email address?
- If you are a student with an Imail or Umail account, your IU email
address will match the one listed above, but your reply-to address
will reflect the email service you use (e.g,
- Whether mail sent to you at the email address listed above actually ends up in your IU email account depends on the address you specify as your preferred email account; see At IU, how do I choose or change my primary email address and preferred email service?
Before setting your IU email address to forward to a non-IU account (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!), note:
- The UITS Support Center may not be able to help with some problems concerning non-IU accounts, and if your email forwarding fails for any reason, you may miss important official communications sent to your IU address for which you are still responsible.
- Faculty, staff, residents, and students in HIPAA Affected Areas whose roles may require sharing protected health information (PHI) via email (e.g., Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Optometry) are not permitted to set up mail forwarding to outside accounts, as this could result in the violation of federal and state laws. For more, see HIPAA Privacy and Security.
This is document aaat in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-06-16.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.