At IU, how do I choose or change my primary email address and preferred email service?
email@example.com), to avoid problems with mailing list subscriptions, website logins, and access to services both inside and outside of IU, you'll need to take several additional steps; see Guidelines for avoiding service interruptions when changing the primary email address for a personal or group computing account at IU.
On this page:
- Your primary IU email address
- Your preferred email service
- Making selections
Your primary IU email address
In most cases, an IU username will have one IU email address associated with it, and that address is typically the default primary email address (i.e., the address that appears in the IU Address Book and the Global Address List) for the person with that username.
However, an IU computing account may have more than one IU email address associated with its username, particularly if that account belongs to a person or group associated with more than one IU campus. If this is the case for you, then you must set your primary IU email address, thereby selecting which email address will be listed for you in the IU Address Book and Global Address List.
Your preferred email service
The email service that receives mail sent to your personal or group
account's primary IU email address is referred to as your account's
preferred email service. In simple terms, think of choosing your
preferred email service as setting a forwarding rule for your primary
IU email address (i.e., telling the IU mail system where to deliver
messages sent to your
@iupui.edu email address).
The types of IU email services available to you (e.g., Exchange, Cyrus, Imail, and Umail) may vary based on the campus and your status at IU; see At IU, what email systems are available? In some cases, you may be permitted to choose an existing account on a non-IU email service (e.g., Gmail) as your preferred email service.
Before setting your IU email address to forward to a non-IU account (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!), note:
- The UITS Support Center may not be able to help with some problems concerning non-IU accounts, and if your email forwarding fails for any reason, you may miss important official communications sent to your IU address for which you are still responsible.
- Faculty, staff, residents, and students in HIPAA Affected Areas whose roles may require sharing protected health information (PHI) via email (e.g., Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Optometry) are not permitted to set up mail forwarding to outside accounts, as this could result in the violation of federal and state laws. For more, see HIPAA Privacy and Security.
Your primary IU email address
- Click Important:If your account already has a primary IU email address, and you need to change it (e.g., from
firstname.lastname@example.org), to avoid problems with mailing list subscriptions, website logins, and access to services both inside and outside of IU, you'll need to take several additional steps; see Guidelines for avoiding service interruptions when changing the primary email address for a personal or group computing account at IU. . Next to "Set
primary e-mail address to:", from the drop-down menu, select a primary
IU email address. (If you are or have been affiliated with more than
one IU campus, you may see more than one email address listed.)
Your preferred email service:
- Under "Forward your IU e-mail:", select the appropriate option for
each email address listed:
To use a non-IU email service for your preferred email service, choose, and then enter the address to which you'd like your IU email forwarded.
- Click .
Changes may take up to 30 minutes to take effect.
This is document berh in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-08-05.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.