About creating first computing accounts for admitted students, faculty, staff, and affiliates
If you fit these criteria, you can create your first Indiana University computing accounts:
- A student who has been admitted to the university and to the
appropriate school within the university
You can create your accounts when the system has processed you appropriately; this typically is one day after receiving notice of your admittance.
- A faculty or staff member whose paperwork has been processed by IU Human Resources (HR)
- A sponsored IU affiliate
On this page:
Create your accounts
Allow yourself 10 to 15 minutes to complete the account creation process. Your session will time out if left inactive for more than five consecutive minutes, requiring that you log in and begin the process again.
If you encounter a problem with the account creation process, copy the full text of any error message and contact your campus Support Center.
- Go to Create my first IU account in One.IU, and click .
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID number in the fields provided. Click .
- You will see the Guidelines for Appropriate Usage, which are rules and
policies for IT account use at IU. After you have read the Guidelines,
Yesto agree to these policies, and then click .
- If you have multiple roles at IU (e.g., if you are both a student and a staff member), you will have to select one role to be your primary affiliation at IU. Select the role you want, and then click .
- From the available options, select where you want to receive your IU
email. Faculty and staff should choose
Umail account (Google). Graduate and professional students
are eligible for both Exchange and Umail; you can only create one account
during initial creation, but may choose to create an additional account
; undergraduates should choose
to create a
- If you're already set your passphrase, continue to the next step.
Otherwise, enter the passphrase you want to use in both fields. For information on selecting a valid and secure passphrase, see About your IU passphrase.
Next, you will enroll in Passphrase Self-Service. If you forget your passphrase, this system will allow you to reset it yourself without having to visit a Support Center walk-in location in person.
Either select a question from the drop-down list, or enter your own question. Type and re-type the correct answer in the fields provided. Clickto enter further questions, to a maximum of ten.
Once you have entered at least three questions and answers, you will have the option of clickingto complete your enrollment.
- Click if you want to print a copy of your account information. To end your session and close your browser, click .
Verify your accounts
Allow the system 20 minutes to process before continuing:
This is document achn in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-04-01 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.