About creating first computing accounts for admitted students, faculty, staff, and affiliates
If you fit these criteria, you can create your first Indiana University computing accounts:
- An applicant to the university
Applicants are ineligible for email, but can create basic accounts; see About accounts for IU applicants.
- An admitted, enrolled, or distance student
You can create your accounts when the system has processed you appropriately; this typically is one day after receiving notice of your admittance.
- A faculty or staff member whose paperwork has been processed by IU Human Resources (HR)
- A sponsored IU affiliate
On this page:
Create your accounts
Allow yourself 10 to 15 minutes to complete the account creation process. Your session will time out if left inactive for more than 15 consecutive minutes, requiring that you log in and begin the process again.
If you encounter a problem with the account creation process, copy the full text of any error message and contact your campus Support Center.
- Go to Create My First IU Account in One.IU, and click .
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID number in the fields provided. Click .
- You will see an Acceptable Use Agreement, which contains rules and policies for IT account use at IU. After you have read the Agreement, enter
Yesto agree to these policies, and then click .
- Select a username from the available options, and then click .
- Enter the passphrase you want to use in both fields, and then click About your IU passphrase. . For information about selecting a valid and secure passphrase, see
- Select at least three different passphrase questions from the drop-down list and type the correct answers into the fields provided. If you'd like more questions, click .
- By default, IU provides everyone an email address with the
@iu.edudomain. To continue, click .
- Select a device to enroll in Two-Step Login (Duo), and then click .
- Following the instructions, use the Duo Control Panel to enroll your device, and then click .
- The summary provides an overview of your account information. If you've been given an email address, you'll see your designated email service (Umail for those whose sole status is undergraduate; Exchange for all others). To find out more about IU's IT benefits, click .
Verify your accounts
Allow the system 20 minutes to process before continuing:
This is document achn in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2017-02-23 06:02:06.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.