About creating first computing accounts for admitted students, faculty, staff, and affiliates
If your situation is one of those listed below, you can create your first Indiana University computing accounts:
- A student who has been admitted to the university and to the
appropriate school within the university
Note: As an admitted student, you cannot create your accounts until the system has processed you appropriately; this typically is one day after receiving notice of your admittance.
- A faculty or staff member whose paperwork has been processed by IU Human Resources (HR)
- A sponsored IU affiliate
On this page:
Create your accounts
Note: For the AMS, use a web browser capable of making a secure connection (one that supports SSL), such as the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari, and be sure you are able to accept cookies.
Allow yourself 10 to 15 minutes to complete the account creation process. Your Account Management Service (AMS) session will time out if left inactive for more than five consecutive minutes; subsequently, you will need to log in and begin the process again.
Note: You will need to know your 10-digit University ID number to create your initial accounts.
- Go to the Account Management Service.
- Click .
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID number in the fields provided. Click .
- The AMS will display the Guidelines for Appropriate Usage, which
are rules and policies for IT account use at IU. After you have
read the Guidelines, enter
Yesto agree to these policies, and then click .
- If you have multiple roles at IU (e.g., if you are both a student and a staff member), you will have to select one role to be your primary affiliation at IU. Select the role you want, and then click .
- From the available options, select where you want to receive
your IU email. Faculty and staff should choose Umail account (Google). Graduate and professional
students are eligible for both Exchange and Umail; you can only
create one account during initial creation, but may choose to create
an additional account later.
Click. ; undergraduates should choose to create a
- Enter the passphrase you want to use in both fields. For information on selecting a valid and secure passphrase, see About your IU passphrase.
- Next, you will enroll in the Passphrase Self-Service Reset
System. If you forget your passphrase, this system will allow you to
reset it yourself without having to visit a Support Center walk-in
location in person.
Either select a question from the drop-down list, or enter your own question. Type and re-type the correct answer in the fields provided. Clickto enter further questions, to a maximum of ten.
Once you have entered at least three questions and answers, you will have the option of clickingto complete your enrollment.
- Click if you want to print a copy of your account information. To end your AMS session and close your browser, click .
Important: Your accounts should be active within 20 minutes. Since the information must propagate through IU systems, however, it may take up to 24 hours before you can log into some services.
Verify your accounts
Allow the system 20 minutes to process before continuing:
- Go to the AMS, and click .
- If you are prompted to log into the Central Authentication Service (CAS), enter your username and passphrase. If not, skip to the next step.
- Active Directory Service
- The email account(s) you created
If these are not listed, contact your campus Support Center.. The following accounts
should be listed as "Created":
This is document achn in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-07-23.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.