How do I change my IU Network ID passphrase?
Use these directions only if you remember your Indiana University Network ID passphrase and want to change it. If you forgot your Network ID passphrase, see How do I reset my IU Network ID passphrase? If you need to change your IU Guest account password, see How do I change or reset my IU Guest account password?
If you do not have access to a networked computer or mobile device, you can reset your passphrase at a Support Center walk-in location on your campus (bring a photo ID to confirm your identity).
On this page:
Before changing your passphrase
- If you access IU services from several different networked devices, you may need to take a few precautions before changing your passphrase.
- If you use PGP Whole Disk Encryption (WDE) on Windows, see About changing your passphrase when you use PGP.
- Review the Rules for creating passphrases at Indiana University (they differ from those for creating an ordinary password).
How to change your passphrase
- Under "Do you know your current passphrase?", click .
- If prompted, log in with your IU Network ID username and passphrase.
Important:Use your personal Network ID credentials to log into CAS even when changing the passphrase for a group account you own.
- Read the on-screen information. Before proceeding, follow the precautions listed on the page and review the rules for creating a secure passphrase.
- Near the bottom of the page, in the "Network ID Username" field, your personal Network ID username will be filled in by default:
- If you are resetting your personal Network ID passphrase, leave your personal username there and skip to the next step.
- If you are resetting a group account passphrase, replace your personal username with the group account username.
- In the "Current Network ID Passphrase" field, enter the current passphrase for the (personal or group) Network ID username specified in the previous step.
- In the two remaining fields, enter and confirm a new passphrase, and then click
On the left, the system will provide feedback on your new passphrase.
- You will receive email confirmation when you change your passphrase. For group accounts, the account owner will receive the message.
- When you change your Network ID passphrase, it may take up to 20 minutes for all systems to recognize the new passphrase. UITS recommends waiting 20 minutes before logging into IU systems, such as One.IU.
About group account passphrases
All group or departmental accounts must have owners who are active faculty or staff members (as reported by HRMS). If the owner leaves the university or (through change of HR status) becomes ineligible to own a group account, the owned account(s) will be removed. To ensure the continuity of group accounts, see About transferring ownership of a group or departmental account.
If you know the group account's passphrase, you can change it by following the instructions above. For a passphrase not recalled, the account owner can visit a Support Center walk-in location (bring a photo ID to confirm your identity).
If you don't know the current passphrase and the group account owner is for some reason unable or unavailable to change it, contact your campus Support Center. Under certain circumstances, a person other than the account owner may be permitted to change a forgotten passphrase, provided the person has official authorization from the account owner or department chair. The Support Center will provide guidance on the specific steps for your campus and organization.
This is document atav in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-01-21.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.