At IU, how do I change my Network ID passphrase?
Important: If you have not changed your passphrase in two years, IU requires that you do so. If you do not, your passphrase will expire and you will be unable to log into most IU services. See Why is my IU passphrase expiring?
To change your Network ID passphrase, or to reset it if you have
forgotten it, go to one.iu.edu,
passphrase reset, and click the icon.
Important: Before changing or resetting your passphrase, see What precautions should I take when changing my passphrase?
For other passphrase reset options, see At IU, if I have forgotten my Network ID passphrase, how can I reset it?
For more about passphrase security, see At IU, how can I keep my passphrase secure?
Note: When you change your Network ID passphrase, it may take up to 20 minutes for all systems to recognize the new passphrase. UITS recommends waiting 20 minutes before logging into IU systems, such as Account Management Service and One.IU.
Information regarding group accounts
All group or departmental accounts must have an owner who is an active faculty or staff member (as reported by HRMS). If the owner leaves the university or through change of HR status becomes ineligible to own an account, the owned account(s) will be removed. To ensure the continuity of group accounts, see About transferring ownership of a group or departmental account.
Changing a group account passphrase
Only the account owner is authorized to change the group account passphrase, even if there are other people who regularly log into and use the account. If you are not the account owner and want to change the passphrase on a group account, contact your campus Support Center. Note that you will need to provide official authorization from the account owner or department chair to proceed; the Support Center will provide guidance on the specific steps for your campus and organization.
If you are the group account owner and don't know your group account passphrase, see At IU, if I have forgotten my Network ID passphrase, how can I reset it? Otherwise, follow the steps below:
- Find and click the icon. Under "Do you know your current passphrase?", click .
- If prompted, log into the Central Authentication Service (CAS) with your personal Network ID.
- In the "Network ID Username:" field, replace your personal username with your group account username.
- In the "Current Network ID Passphrase" field, enter your current group account passphrase. In the two remaining fields, enter a new passphrase.
- Click .
This is document atav in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-01-20.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.