At IU, how do I change my Network ID passphrase?
Note: Use these directions only if you remember your Indiana University Network ID passphrase and want to change it. If you forgot your Network ID passphrase, see At IU, if I have forgotten my Network ID passphrase, how can I reset it? If you need to change your IU Guest account password, see How do I change or reset my IU Guest account password?
To keep your Network ID passphrase secure, UITS recommends changing it every six months. If you do not change your passphrase within two years, it will expire, locking you out of most IU systems and services; see Why is my IU passphrase expiring?
The online self-service Passphrase Reset tool, available on the One.IU website, lets you change your Network ID passphrase from any networked computer or mobile device with a web browser. If you do not have access to a networked computer or mobile device, you can reset your passphrase at a Support Center walk-in location on your campus (bring a photo ID to confirm your identity).
On this page:
- Before changing your passphrase
- About group account passphrases
- Using the online Password Reset tool
Before changing your passphrase
If you access IU services from several different networked devices, you may need to take a few precautions before changing your passphrase; see What precautions should I take when changing my passphrase?
Additionally, you should review the rules for creating a secure passphrase (they differ from those for creating an ordinary password); see Passphrases at Indiana University.
About group account passphrases
For group, departmental, or student organization accounts, the account owners are the only individuals permitted to change passphrases, even if several other individuals regularly log into and use the accounts.
All group or departmental accounts must have owners who are active faculty or staff members (as reported by HRMS). If the owner leaves the university or (through change of HR status) becomes ineligible to own an group account, the owned account(s) will be removed. To ensure the continuity of group accounts, see About transferring ownership of a group or departmental account.
The owner can change a group account's passphrase using the online Passphrase Reset tool (follow the instructions below) or by visiting a Support Center walk-in location (bring a photo ID to confirm your identity).
If the group account owner is for some reason unable or unavailable to change the passphrase, contact your campus Support Center. Under certain circumstances, a person other than the account owner may be permitted to change the passphrase, provided the person has official authorization from the account owner or department chair. The Support Center will provide guidance on the specific steps for your campus and organization.
Using the online Password Reset tool
To use the online Passphrase Reset tool:
- Open a web browser, go to the Password Reset tool, and then click
Alternatively, if you don't have the direct link handy, use the search box on the One.IU website to find the Password Reset tool (search for
password reset, and then, in the search results, click the icon).
- Under "Do you know your current passphrase?", click .
- If prompted, log into the IU Central Authentication Service
(CAS) with your personal Network ID username and
Important: Use your personal Network ID credentials to log into CAS even when changing the passphrase for a group account you own.
- Read the on-screen information. Before proceeding, follow the precautions listed on the page and review the rules for creating a secure passphrase.
- Near the bottom of the page, in the "Network ID Username" field,
your personal Network ID username will be filled in by default:
- If you are resetting your personal Network ID passphrase, leave your personal username there and skip to the next step.
- If you are resetting a group account passphrase, replace your personal username with the group account username.
- In the "Current Network ID Passphrase" field, enter the current passphrase for the (personal or group) Network ID username specified in the previous step.
- In the two remaining fields, enter and confirm a new passphrase, and then click .
Note: When you change your Network ID passphrase, it may take up to 20 minutes for all systems to recognize the new passphrase. UITS recommends waiting 20 minutes before logging into IU systems, such as Account Management Service and One.IU.
This is document atav in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-03-25.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.