How do I reset my IU Network ID passphrase?
If you have forgotten your passphrase and need to reset it:
- Students, faculty, staff, and IU affiliates can use
Self-Service Passphrase Reset.
- All eligible users can use Self-Service Passphrase Reset questions.
- Students only can use Self-Service Passphrase Reset by email.
- Accounts belonging to groups, departments, or organizations are not eligible to use the Self-Service system, and you will have to request a reset in person, or by mail or fax.
- IU applicants who have passphrase problems should contact their campus Support Center for assistance.
On this page:
- Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset
- Resetting your passphrase in person or by mail or fax
Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset
To use Self-Service Passphrase Reset:
- Under "Do you know your current passphrase?", click .
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID Number in the fields provided. Click .
The next page will show your options for resetting your passphrase.
Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset questions
To use Self-Service Passphrase Reset questions, you must already be enrolled in the system, and your identifying questions and answers must already be configured. Most people will have been automatically enrolled when creating their first IU accounts; otherwise, see At IU, how do I enroll in Self-Service Passphrase Reset or change my questions?
- From the passphrase reset options page above, click
Note:Once you click Support Center for assistance., you will have a limited amount of time to successfully complete the reset. If you do not complete it in that time, you will be locked out and unable to resume the process. If this happens, contact your campus ; on the following page, click
to begin the reset process.
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID number in the appropriate fields. Enter the code provided in the last field. Click .
- For each question, enter the answer you provided when you enrolled in the system; be careful to spell your responses correctly. Click .
- When you have successfully answered the questions, you will be able to choose a new passphrase; follow the guidelines on the page, or see About your IU passphrase. Enter and re-enter your passphrase in the fields provided, and then click .
- Click .
Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset by email (students only)
If you are a student, you may reset your passphrase by generating a reset code to the alternate email address you provided when applying to the university.
From the passphrase reset options page above, click, and follow the on-screen directions.
Resetting your passphrase in person or by mail or fax
For IU groups and organizations, and for individuals not enrolled in Self-Service Passphrase Reset, UITS can reset a passphrase as follows:
- In person: Take a photo ID to your campus Support Center. You will need to know your University ID number. Once a consultant has confirmed your identity, allow 20 minutes for your passphrase change to be processed.
- By mail or fax: If you cannot visit the Support Center, you may fill out a Passphrase Change Form; see How can I request a passphrase reset by mail or fax?
All group or departmental accounts must have owners who are active faculty or staff members (as reported by HRMS). If the owner leaves the university or (through change of HR status) becomes ineligible to own an group account, the owned account(s) will be removed. To ensure the continuity of group accounts, see About transferring ownership of a group or departmental account.
The account sponsor, or owner, is the only person authorized to reset the group account passphrase, even if there are other people who regularly log into and use the account.
This is document ataz in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-07-08.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.