How do I reset my IU passphrase?
If you have forgotten your passphrase and need to reset it:
- Students, faculty, staff, applicants, and IU affiliates can use Self-Service Passphrase Reset.
- Students and applicants only can use Self-Service Passphrase Reset by email.
- All eligible users can use Self-Service Passphrase Reset questions.
- Accounts belonging to groups, departments, or organizations are not eligible to use the Self-Service system, and you will have to request a reset in person, or by mail or fax.
On this page:
- Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset
- Resetting your passphrase in person or by mail or fax
- You will receive email confirmation when you change your passphrase. For group accounts, the account owner will receive the message.
- When you change your Network ID passphrase, it may take up to 20 minutes for all systems to recognize the new passphrase. UITS recommends waiting 20 minutes before logging into IU systems, such as One.IU.
Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset
To use Self-Service Passphrase Reset:
- Under "Do you know your current passphrase?", click .
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID Number in the fields provided. Click .
Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset by email (students and applicants only)
If you are a student or applicant, the next page will allow you to reset your passphrase by generating a reset code to be sent to the alternate email address you provided when applying to the university. If you are not a student or applicant, see Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset questions.
To use Self-Service Passphrase Reset by email:
- Enter your alternate email address and select ; this tool will be locked after five attempts to enter your alternate address. An email message with a reset code will be sent to this address.
- Enter the reset code.
- When you have successfully entered the reset code, you will be able to choose a new passphrase; follow the guidelines on the page, or see About your IU passphrase. Enter and re-enter your passphrase in the fields provided, and then click .
Students and applicants who do not know their alternate email addresses may select Passphrase Reset questions method.to reset their passphrases using the
Using Self-Service Passphrase Reset questions
To use Self-Service Passphrase Reset questions, you must already be enrolled in the system, and your identifying questions and answers must already be configured. Most people will have been automatically enrolled when creating their first IU accounts; otherwise, see At IU, how do I enroll in Self-Service Passphrase Reset or change my questions?
- For each question, enter the answer you provided when you enrolled in the system; be careful to spell your responses correctly. Click .
- When you have successfully answered the questions, you will be able to choose a new passphrase; follow the guidelines on the page, or see About your IU passphrase. Enter and re-enter your passphrase in the fields provided, and then click .
If you don't know the answers to all of the questions, select Support Center.to get assistance from the
Resetting your passphrase in person or by mail or fax
For IU groups and organizations, and for individuals not enrolled in Self-Service Passphrase Reset, UITS can reset a passphrase as follows:
- In person: Take a photo ID to your campus Support Center. You will need to know your University ID number. Once a consultant has confirmed your identity, allow 20 minutes for your passphrase change to be processed.
- By mail or fax: If you cannot visit the Support Center, you may fill out a Passphrase Change Form; see How can I request a passphrase reset by mail or fax?
All group or departmental accounts must have owners who are active faculty or staff members (as reported by HRMS). If the owner leaves the university or (through change of HR status) becomes ineligible to own a group account, the owned account(s) will be removed. To ensure the continuity of group accounts, see About transferring ownership of a group or departmental account.
The account sponsor, or owner, is the only person authorized to reset the group account passphrase, even if there are other people who regularly log into and use the account.
This is document ataz in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-05-25 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.