About the Knowledge Management System and the Knowledge Base
The IU Knowledge Management System (KMS) is a component content management system comprising the IU Knowledge Base, a web services API, and editing, reporting, and optimization tools for editors and content owners. Future development will focus on knowledge collection and authoring, as well as expanding existing KMS functionality.
The Knowledge Base
The Indiana University Knowledge Base (KB) is a repository of thousands of answers to common questions about computing at IU. To support the IU community, the Knowledge Management (KM) team works with information technology service providers throughout IU to publish their information in the KB.
A new version of the IU Knowledge Base was released in June 2014. It introduced several improvements to the legacy service, including:
- CAS authentication
- Apache Solr search
- Robust spellcheck, and search auto-suggestions based on the last eight years of KB searches
- Mobile-ready responsive design
- An IU-branded interface, designed and built in collaboration with the IT Communications Office
- Reporting via Google Analytics
- A custom XML-based markup language that allows better semantic management of content
- Social media integration
If you have any issues or questions about these features, please
contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or via the contact forms at the
bottom of every document page.
The KMS editing environment
The KMS editing environment (https://kms.iu.edu) includes editing and publishing tools for the KM team and content owners, who can review documents in process and approve changes directly. It went into production in October 2015, and includes:
- Elasticsearch for internal search, reporting, and worklist-building features
- Authorization via user-managed Active Directory groups
- A customized XML editor built on ACE editor
- A full suite of KM features, allowing batch publishing, uncovering critical document dependencies, global find and replace, and more
Future plans for the Knowledge Management System
Our team continues to develop and release further functionality for end users, content owners, and the Knowledge Management team. Planned features and tools include:
- For end users, more and better channels for feedback
- For content owners, simple rich-text editing; private, sharable repositories; greater reporting options; and document workflow
- For KM editors, a full-featured editing environment and even greater semantic markup options
About the KMS development
The KMS developers use Scrum/Agile principles to deliver customer value in incremental releases. Following the principles of lean and agile development, the release cycle focuses on the minimum viable product that can deliver value to customers.
The KMS Scrum team works in two-week sprints, with a goal of delivering working software at the end of each sprint. The first sprint began June 27, 2013.
This is document beci in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-02-12.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.