At IU, how do I forward my email?
Mail forwarding redirects incoming email for the Indiana University
email domains (i.e.,
your preferred email service. Forwarding email is a good idea if you
have accounts on more than one email service; unless you log into your
account on each service regularly, you may have unread messages in one
of the accounts. Choosing a preferred email service and then
forwarding mail to it from your other accounts will ensure that any
mail sent to your IU email address lands in the account where you read
If you have an Exchange account, you should set Exchange as your preferred email service; messages sent between IU Exchange accounts land in your Exchange mailbox regardless of the preferred email service setting. For more about Exchange account mail forwarding, see At IU, why am I not receiving all of my email?
For details about your primary email address and preferred email service, see At IU, how do I choose or change my primary email address and preferred email service?
Before setting your IU email address to forward to a non-IU account (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!), note:
- The UITS Support Center may not be able to help with some problems concerning non-IU accounts, and if your email forwarding fails for any reason, you may miss important official communications sent to your IU address for which you are still responsible.
- Faculty, staff, residents, and students in HIPAA Affected Areas whose roles may require sharing protected health information (PHI) via email (e.g., Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Optometry) are not permitted to set up mail forwarding to outside accounts, as this could result in the violation of federal and state laws. For more, see HIPAA Privacy and Security.
To forward mail from one or more accounts to a preferred service, and thus avoid creating a mail forwarding loop, follow these steps in order:
- Remove mail forwarding at your preferred email
Choose one email service from which you will read mail; this will be your preferred service. Make sure there is no forward set on it by removing all mail forwarding from it. To do so, log into the service you wish to use as your preferred service, and then follow the appropriate steps below.
- Imail: At IU, how do I add or remove forwarding from my Imail account?
- Umail: At IU, how do I add or remove forwarding for my Umail account?
- Exchange: In Microsoft Outlook for Windows, or in Outlook Web App (OWA), how do I automatically forward all of my IU email to another address?
- Cyrus: In Cyrus mail, how do I set up or remove forwarding?
- Register your preferred email service:
Registering your preferred service notifies the IU mail servers where to deliver mail addressed to your primary IU email account. Follow the instructions in Your preferred email service.
- Forward mail on your other services:
Referring to the instructions for different mail systems noted in step 1, forward mail on all your other services except your preferred service to your primary IU email address (for Unix accounts, refer to How do I forward my mail from a Unix account?) To avoid creating a mail loop, do one of the following:
Note:Any mail sent to
- Do not forward mail from your previous preferred service until the next day.
- Forward your previously preferred service to your new preferred service instead of your primary email address, and then revise its forwarding to your primary email address the next day.
firstname.lastname@example.org) from a system outside IU will be rejected, generating a bounce message to the sending system. Be sure your mail is sent to
- Check your mail forwarding:
Verify that your forwarding is working correctly by sending yourself test messages to and from each of your systems. For more, see At IU, how can I tell if my mail is forwarded?
This is document beoj in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-08-05.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.