At IU, how do I forward my email?
Mail forwarding redirects incoming email for the Indiana University
email domains (i.e.,
your preferred email service. Forwarding email is a good idea if you
have accounts on more than one email service (e.g., an account on
Cyrus mail and an account on Exchange). Unless you log into your
account on each service regularly, you may have unread messages in one
of the accounts. Choosing a preferred email service and then
forwarding mail to it from your other accounts will ensure that any
mail sent to your IU email address lands in the account where you read
IU Exchange users should set Exchange as the preferred email service; messages sent between IU Exchange accounts land in the recipient's Exchange mailbox regardless of the preferred email service setting. For more about Exchange account mail forwarding, see At IU, why am I not receiving all of my email?
If you don't know the difference between your primary email address and preferred email service, see At IU, what is my email address? to learn about email addresses or At IU, what email systems are available? to learn about email services.
Important: Students, faculty, and staff in the health sciences schools should not forward their IU email to outside accounts, as this could result in the violation of federal laws (e.g., HIPAA).
Follow the steps below to forward mail from one or more accounts to a preferred service, and thus avoid creating a mail forwarding loop:
- Remove mail forwarding at your preferred email service
- Register your preferred email service
- Forward mail on your other email services
- Check your mail forwarding
1. Remove mail forwarding at your preferred email service
Choose one email service from which you will read mail; this will be your preferred service. Make sure there is no forward set on it by removing all mail forwarding from it. To do so, log into the service you wish to use as your preferred service, and then follow the appropriate steps below.
2. Register your preferred service
Register your preferred service with the Account Management Service (AMS). Doing so notifies the IU mail servers where to deliver mail addressed to your primary IU email account.
- Go to the Account Management Service.
- Click . Then click , and then .
- Under "Forward your IU e-mail", select , and, from the drop-down list, select your preferred email service.
- At the bottom of the page, click .
3. Forward mail on your other services
Forward mail on all your other services except your preferred service to your primary IU email address.
Note: To avoid creating a mail loop, do one of the following:
- Do not forward mail from your previous preferred service until the next day.
- Forward your previously preferred service to your new preferred service instead of your primary email address, and then revise its forwarding to your primary email address the next day.
email@example.com) from a system outside IU will be rejected, generating a bounce message to the sending system. Be sure your mail is sent to
Other Unix accounts
4. Check your mail forwarding
Verify that your forwarding is working correctly by sending yourself test messages to and from each of your systems. For more, see At IU, how can I tell if my mail is forwarded?
This is document beoj in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-03-09.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.