ARCHIVED: At IU, if I forget my passphrase on a UITS shared central system, what should I do?
Note: These instructions do not apply to IU Network Access accounts. For more information, see ARCHIVED: About Network Access accounts (guest wireless access) at IUB, IUPUI, IUE, IUK, IUN, IUS, and IUPUC.
If you have forgotten your passphrase on a UITS shared central system at Indiana University, you must have your passphrase reset:
- The simplest way to reset your passphrase is to use the
Self-Service Passphrase Reset system; see ARCHIVED: At IU, what is the Self-Service Passphrase Reset system?
Note: You must have enrolled in the Self-Service system prior to using it to reset your passphrase. See At IU, how do I enroll in Self-Service Passphrase Reset or change my questions?
- If you have not enrolled in the Self-Service Passphrase Reset system, you still have options for having your passphrase reset. For more information, see How do I reset my IU passphrase?
Contact your campus Support Center for more information. UITS consultants and system administrators cannot look at passphrases on computing accounts, because all passphrases are encrypted. Because your identity cannot be safely verified over the telephone, consultants cannot change passphrases in that way.
Note: If you've stored your passphrase in any applications or on any devices, remember to change it there as well.
- You will receive email confirmation when you change your passphrase. For group accounts, the account owner will receive the message.
- When you change your Network ID passphrase, it may take up to 20 minutes for all systems to recognize the new passphrase. UITS recommends waiting 20 minutes before logging into IU systems, such as One.IU.
All of the following are considered "shared" systems at IU; this is not necessarily an inclusive list:
- Access to STC/RTC computers
- VPN access
Note: Some departments run their own servers for email or applications and are not part of the shared systems. If you are having trouble with a departmental system, you will need to seek assistance from that department.
This is document abbk in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2012-09-05.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.