As an instructor, how can I use the Faculty Center to enter grades into my class roster?
As an instructor at Indiana University, you can enter grades into your class rosters in either Oncourse or the Faculty Center. UITS recommends that for a single course you use one or the other, but not both. To use Oncourse to enter your grades, see Information about submitting final grades in Oncourse.
Note: If grades are submitted by 8pm, students can view their grades in the Faculty Center the following day after 7am Monday-Saturday, or after 8am on Sunday.
On this page:
- Entering grades individually
- Entering grades from a prepared file
Entering grades individually
To enter grades into your roster:
- Click the icon.
- The Faculty Center will initially display information for the current term. To select a different term, click and select your term.
- In the "Class" column, locate the course section for which you would like to enter grades. Click the link in the "Grade Roster" column for that section. If no grade roster column or link appears for the class, the grade roster for the class has not yet been generated.
- Verify the term and roster type (e.g., ).
- Enter grades in the "Grade Input" fields. Alternatively, you can
Note: Save your work often; thebutton is at the bottom of the page. If your session is inactive for more than thirty minutes, it will time out and any grades not saved will be lost. If you have limited time, save your work and return to it later.
- To assign a grade of
FN, enter a value in the "Last Date Attended" field (this field will not appear until you have clicked ). Estimate the date if you do not know it. If the student never attended, enter a grade of
FNN, which does not require a date to go with it. The system will not let you enter a date in this field that is not within the term-begin and term-end dates.
- Students who dropped during the 100% refund period will not appear on the roster.
- For students taking IU classes through another university, you
will see a placeholder grade of
ZZ. No further grade is necessary for these students.
next to the field to display a list of
valid grade values, and then select an appropriate grade.
- To assign a grade of
- Click . Verify that you have correctly entered all grades.
Note: If you are acting as a proxy, you won't have access to this button unless you have been authorized to both enter and approve grades. You'll need to notify the faculty of record that you have finished entering grades. The faculty of record must then access the Faculty Center, navigate to the grade roster, and click.
Once you have approved the grades, you can no longer edit them. To make changes to grades after they have been submitted, contact the Office of the Registrar.. All students
must be assigned a grade before you click this button. If you click
without clicking , you have not submitted your grades.
- You can tell whether your grades have been successfully submitted by checking for a message at the top of the roster that says "Grades have been submitted to the Registrar". Approved rosters are posted overnight.
Entering grades from a prepared file
To enter midterm and final grade rosters from a prepared file, use the Load from File tool:
Note: Load from File may not be available at all IU campuses.
Preparing the file
Important: Before loading, prepare your grade file as follows:
- The file must be comma delimited (CSV); if you use a Mac, save
your CSV file in Windows comma-separated format.
Note: Every University ID in the comma-delimited file must match a University ID in the grade roster; grades without matching University IDs will be ignored.
- On the first line, indicate whether the grade roster is for
midterm grades (i.e., MID) or final grades (i.e., FIN).
Note: You do not need to enter grades for students for whom a grade is already assigned (for example, a grade of W for withdrawn or a grade of ZZ). Attempts to replace the existing grade with a different one will be ignored.
- All additional lines must be formatted with University ID and course grade. Optionally, for final grades, if it applies to the student's enrollment, you can include a Requirement Designation Grade (i.e., S for Satisfied, or N for Not Satisfied).
- The University ID must contain leading zeroes in order to match the
grade roster. Following is an example of a load file:
FIN 0000011111,A- 0000022222,C+,S 0000033333,FN,N 0000044444,B 0000055555,I
Note: Do not enter a Last Date of Attendance when applying an FN grade. Enter the date after the upload, when validating the grades. If you try to add a date, the record will not be loaded.
- If the file does not contain "FIN" or "MID" on the first line,
or if the value does not match the roster type, the following
error message will appear:
Invalid File. First Line of File must be MID for Mid-Term Grade Rosters or FIN for Final Grade Rosters.
Depending on whether the file is for midterm or final grades, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Invalid file. Grade lines must be as follows: EMPLID,GRADE[,S/N].
Invalid file. Grade lines must be as follows: EMPLID,GRADE.
Using Load from File to enter a prepared file
To use Load from File to enter your prepared grades file:
- Complete steps 1 through 5 from the Entering grades individually section above.
Note: If you navigate to a roster in the Faculty Center before rosters are generated, the link to the roster will be inactive.
- Click .
- Click to locate your grade file.
- Once the filename displays in the textbox, click
Loading X Records out of Y Read. Would you like to continue?
Clickor . .
The system will attempt to load the file. The following message, where
"Y" is the number of records in the file and "X" is the number of
records loaded, should appear:
- Click . Verify that all grades are loaded, edit as necessary, and then click .
This is document ausb in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-12-13.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.