When I use an IUanyWare application, how do I save my files?
Note: In order to ensure optimum performance, your IUanyWare profile is reset at the end of each academic year (between summer and fall); for details, see About the IUanyWare user profile reset.
On this page:
IU Cloud Storage
The IU Cloud Storage service permits you to specify which of several popular cloud storage services, such as Box at IU, to make available at all times to your IUanyWare session. You may also specify a personal Microsoft SharePoint site or other IU file share as a storage option; see What is IU Cloud Storage and how can I use it?
Saving files to Box
The IU Box service provides a simple, secure way to share and store files and folders online. Box consolidates your content in a single location, easily accessible from anywhere, on any device. You can create files and folders, share them using a direct link, invite others to collaborate, and continue to revise and review your content. Though similar in appearance to other consumer services such as Dropbox, Box can directly integrate with existing IU systems (e.g., accounts, CAS for single sign-on with your IU username and passphrase), security, and contractual protections. Your Box account quota is unlimited.
Your Box account supports advanced collaboration features. For more, see About Box at IU.
Opening and saving your files with an IUanyWare application is similar to opening and saving your files with an application installed on your local computer.
- To open a file: From the
Note: You may not be able to open an IUanyWare application by double-clicking an existing file. menu,
select to create a new file, or to open
an existing file.
- To save a file: From the menu, select to save an existing file, or to save a newly created file. You can save your files to the Cloud Storage service, or locally to your computer (or, in some cases, to your mobile device). However, you cannot store your files in IUanyWare; see the warning below.
Warning: Do not store files in IUanyWare
- Any files stored in the IUanyWare Documents library may be lost at the end of your IUanyWare session.
Note:Do not store files in IUanyWare; you can instead use the Cloud Storage service.
- If your local device (computer, notebook, tablet/smartphone, thin client) has available local storage (hard disk, CD/DVD, thumb drive), you may store your files locally.
Saving files locally
To save files locally (i.e., on your computer or to a USB flash drive):
- From the left side of the pop-up window, click the
Local Disk (C: on ...),
CD/DVD Drive (D: on ...), etc.).
Mac users: Your client computer may not automatically share your local storage with IUanyWare. If you don't see your local drives, from within your IUanyWare application:
(plus sign) next to "Computer" to expand it. This will give you
access to each of the disk drives on your client device (e.g.,
- From the menu bar, select , and then .
- Under "Mapped Drives", check , where represents your username.
- Under the "Read" and "Write" columns, select
Note: Some IUanyWare applications must be able to write to your local hard drive; do not select. .
- The storage location
C$ (\\Client)will now appear on your list of "Computer" storage locations.
You may also configure settings for removable media on your local workstation. These settings will remain in place until you change them.
- Select a drive letter or the
Note: At this point, you may see a security message:
- Mac: "How do you want to access files on the mapped drive [X] from this application?"
- Windows: "An online application is attempting to access files on your computer."
Select(Mac) or (Windows).
To avoid seeing this message again, checkbefore proceeding. (plus sign) next to the drive
letter to select the destination folder of your choice.
The drive or folder will open, and you can select the name of the file you want to open or save.
If you wish to map a drive to save your files to a location other than your local computer (but not IU Cloud Storage), from within your IUanyWare session, right-click At IU, how do I access a shared resource (map a drive) on a remote IU server?and select . For more, see
For information on mapping group sites in SharePoint, see How do I map a drive to my IU SharePoint site or My Site?
This is document bbcl in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-02-03 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.