Dealing with your IU Box account when you leave IU
At Indiana University, eligibility for computing accounts depends on your status as a student or employee:
- Students: As with your other IU computing accounts, your IU Box account remains active as long as you are enrolled at any IU campus. After two consecutive terms (fall, spring, and summer are each considered one term) during which you are not enrolled through the IU registrar, UITS will disable access to your IU computing accounts, including your IU Box account. For more, see At IU, what happens to my student computing accounts when I graduate, leave the university, transfer to another campus, or study abroad?
- Faculty and staff: As an IU employee, your IU computing accounts remain active as long as you are employed at any IU campus. When your employment at IU ends, UITS will disable access to your IU computing accounts, including your IU Box account. For more, see What happens to my employee computing accounts when I leave IU?
Note: Official IU retirees keep full access to their IU Box accounts; for more, see About access to IU resources for official IU retirees.
IU Box accounts remain disabled for 180 days, and then are deleted. For more about account lifecycles, see Lifecycle of typical computing accounts from creation to deletion.
Preserving your data and collaborations
In order to make appropriate decisions about preserving the content of your IU Box account, you must identify your data and collaborations.
In the case of private folders (which appear yellow in IU Box), you only need to preserve the data associated with the folder. Do this in one of two ways:
- Transfer ownership to a personal (non-IU) Box account; see In Box, how do I transfer ownership to a personal (non-IU) Box account?
- Download the folder to your local computer; see Box Help's article Downloading Files From Box.
In the case of collaborative folders (which appear blue in IU Box), you must preserve the data and manage the collaborations associated with each folder.
- Preserve your data
- Institutional data: If there is any IU institutional data in folders that you own, transfer ownership of those folders to an organizational or group account (i.e., a university-owned "non-personal" account); for instructions, see In Box, how do I transfer ownership of content to an organizational or group Box account? For instructions on creating an organizational or group account, see How can I create a group (non-personal) Box account?
- Personal data: Transfer ownership of your personal data to a personal (non-IU) Box account; for instructions, see In Box, how do I transfer ownership to a personal (non-IU) Box account?
- Manage your collaborations
- Institutional data: If you are a member of a collaborative folder that contains institutional data, request that the owner of the folder remove you as a collaborator. In some situations you can remove yourself. For more, see Sharing and Collaboration - What Changed: Sidebar Changes from Box Help.
- Personal data: Review your personal Box collaborations and, if necessary, plan how you will continue sharing your personal files with others. Once you've created a personal Box account, contact the owner of the collaborative folder and ask that your new Box account address be invited to collaborate. After you've accepted that invitation, ask the folder owner to remove your IU Box account.
For help, contact your campus Support Center.
This is document bbru in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-05-16 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.