Lifecycle of typical computing accounts from creation to deletion
The account lifecycle at IU consists of three phases:
These are general guidelines only. If you have questions about your specific situation, contact your campus Support Center.
Early Relationship (students only)
- Applicants: After submitting an application, Indiana University applicants receive instructions for creating a Network ID username with their University ID number and can authenticate to the Central Authentication Service, allowing them to log into One.IU to check the status of their application, financial aid, etc. They receive no other accounts.
- Admitted students: This applies to those admitted, but not yet enrolled in any courses.
- Affiliates: Individuals who are not students, faculty, or staff, but who are affiliated with IU (e.g., contracted employees or consultants) may be eligible for an account as an IU affiliate. These accounts must be sponsored by an IU faculty or staff member.
- Enrolled students: This applies to those who are officially enrolled in courses or have been enrolled within the past two semesters.
- Faculty, staff, and temporary (hourly) employees: Employees are in the Active User phase after they are hired.
- Retired faculty and staff: Those with official IU retiree status remain in the Active User phase.
Those in the Extended Relationship phase can maintain an existing IU Network ID and authenticate to CAS, but generally do not have other accounts, student email systems being the exception. During the Extended Relationship, these other accounts are typically deleted after 180 days, though this time frame may vary by account.
- Students: See At IU, what happens to my student computing accounts when I graduate, leave the university, transfer to another campus, or study abroad?
- Faculty and staff: Those who leave IU (but do not have retirement status) are in the Extended Relationship phase until they are able to retrieve their final W-2s.
This is document auow in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-02-08 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.