At IU, what is my preferred name, and how can I set or change it?
Students, faculty, and staff may designate a preferred name, which most university systems will then use. These include your class rosters and grade rosters, Canvas, Exchange display name, and your university ID card. (At some IU campuses, you may need to request that your preferred name be printed on your ID card.) The university will also retain your legal (or "primary") name, which is used when legally required, such as in tax documents, housing contracts, police reports, and certain health records. For further details (including information about surname changes), see At IU, how can students or applicants review or change personal information? or How do faculty and staff change personal/group/affiliate information?
To set or change your preferred name:
- Students: Go to Change name (students) in One.IU, and click .
- Faculty and staff: Go to Personal Information (employees) in One.IU, and click .
Acceptable uses of preferred names include:
- A middle name instead of first name
- An abbreviated name (Rob instead of Robert, Manny instead of Emmanuel)
- An Anglicized name (Wendy instead of Haiyan)
- A name to which you are in the process of legally changing
- A name that better represents your gender identity
- A stage or performance name
You may not use your preferred name to misrepresent who you are, nor may you use any profane or offensive language in your preferred name. Your preferred name is subject to approval by university administration, and those who intentionally and egregiously misuse the preferred name option may be subject to disciplinary action.
- Your changes may not appear for up to 24 hours.
- Be sure to inform your instructors of any name change.
This is document bfeo in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-07-13 08:13:56.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.