In IUB or IUPUI campus housing, how do I connect to the network?

On this page:

Non-FCC compliant devices are not allowed on the IU network; see At IU, what devices are permitted on the network?

Network ID

You need an IU Network ID before you can connect to the IU network. If you are a student, you will receive your Network ID when you create your first computing accounts, or during orientation. If you are a visiting scholar or faculty member, make arrangements with your sponsoring department for a Network ID.

Wireless connections

Connect your device to the IU Secure wireless network, if it is available.

If IU Secure is not available, and you want to configure your own wireless access point, see At IUB, if my campus residence does not yet have IU Secure wireless network access, how do I configure a wireless access point?

Wired (Ethernet) connections

Before you can make a wired connection

To connect a wired (Ethernet, cabled) device to the IU network, you first need to register the device.
If your device needs to be manually registered on the network by a UITS consultant, but for any reason you miss your appointment, your device will be removed from the network for security reasons. Contact the Support Center to reschedule an appointment.

Equipment you need

  • Your device will need a 10BASE-T or faster Ethernet adapter or card to connect to the IU network. Your laptop or desktop may have an Ethernet card installed; an 8-pin Ethernet port will look similar to the following:
    RJ45 port
    RJ45 Ethernet port
  • You will also need a network cable:
    • IU Bloomington: In Briscoe, Collins, Read Beck and Read Clark, Spruce Hall, 3rd & Union, Tulip Tree apartments, Wells Quadrangle, and Union Street Center, you will need to provide your own standard Cat 5 or Cat 6 Ethernet straight-through patch cord. In all other campus housing, you will find an IU proprietary Ethernet crossover cable attached to the wall data jack.

      Campus View uses both standard Ethernet cables and IU wall cables, depending on the room. In the back bedroom, use a standard Ethernet cable; use an IU wall cable in all other rooms.

    • IUPUI: In Ball Residence Hall, the Campus Apartments on the Riverwalk, North Hall, and the Tower, use a commercial Ethernet cable.
  • Campus View, Forest, Mason, Union Street at IUB, and North Hall at IUPUI: For 103H access points, plug a straight-through cable into the E1 port; see image below. The other ports are inactive.
    103H access point - use E1 port
    103H access point
    Straight-through cables are available at the front desk or from local retailers. If you want to use a wired connection in a room that doesn't have a 103H access point, you will need an IU wall cable.
  • Hillcrest and Collins Living-Learning Center at IUB: For AP-93H access points, plug a straight-through cable into the ENET1 port; see image below. The pass-through port doesn't work.
    AP-93H access point - use ENET1 port
    AP-93H access point
  • University Tower at IUPUI: For AP-93H access points, use the ENET1-4 ports; see image above. The pass-through port doesn't work.

Getting help

If you are having problems connecting your computer, contact the Support Center. If necessary, Support Center staff will forward information about the problem to TCC consultants, who can do the following, as needed:

  • Install appropriate vendor-supplied Ethernet card drivers compatible with your supported operating system. You must have your Ethernet card already installed before the consultant arrives.
  • Check the data jack to make sure it's working.
  • If only one of the two room data jacks is working, temporarily provide an Ethernet hub for the second computer, until the other jack can be activated.

TCC consultants will not do the following:

  • Install hardware or assist you with installing your own hardware. This includes scanners, printers, CD or DVD drives and burners, sound cards, graphics cards, or any peripherals.
  • Provide a hub to connect multiple computers within your on-campus residence. They will help you configure a hub you supply, but it must meet IU's IT policies. For more, see In IUB and IUPUI campus housing, may I connect multiple computers to the campus network?
  • Install/upgrade operating systems, or install/upgrade any applications, including the Microsoft Office Suite. For this type of assistance, the IUB UITS Support Center provides a fee-based carry-in service. For more, see IUB Carry-in Consulting services and pricing and Recommended Windows operating systems at IU.

    The only exception is that consultants will provide in-room service to assist you in installing communications software (e.g., SSH Secure Shell, MacSFTP), web browsers, security software, and service packs insofar as this facilitates your connection to the IU network.

Further information

This is document cafw in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2017-10-05 12:01:13.

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.