At IU, if I already have some computing accounts, how do I get others?
To create additional computing accounts at Indiana University, make sure you meet the listed requirements, and then use the IU Account Management Service (AMS), following the instructions below.
Note: UITS no longer allows the creation of Imail or Cyrus (Webmail) accounts, in anticipation of the retirement of those services. See About the Imail retirement and About the Cyrus (Webmail) retirement.
On this page:
The instructions on this page assume all of the following are true:
- You are eligible to create computing accounts and access information technology services at Indiana University; for eligibility requirements, see What computing accounts are available at IU, and for whom?
- You have already created your IU basic computing accounts; if you
haven't, or you are a former student returning to IU after an absence
(e.g., a graduate student who was once an IU undergraduate), see About creating first computing accounts for admitted students,
faculty, staff, and affiliates.
Note: For group accounts, see Requesting IU computing accounts for groups or departments. For student organization accounts, see About computing accounts for IUB and IUPUI student organizations.
- You remember your IU username and passphrase (this applies both to individual and group accounts); if you forgot your passphrase, see At IU, if I have forgotten my Network ID passphrase, how can I reset it? If you forgot your username, you'll need to contact your campus Support Center with your (or the group account owner's) 10-digit University ID.
- You log into CAS using the account to which you want to
- Personal account: To create additional accounts for your personal account, you must be logged onto your computer using your personal account credentials.
- Group/departmental account: To create additional
accounts for a group account, you must be logged on using your group
Note: If you're making changes to a group or departmental account, and you're already logged into a Windows computer joined to the ADS domain with your personal Network ID, your browser may automatically use your personal Network ID credentials, thereby preventing you from logging into CAS with your group account credentials. If you have difficulties with CAS, try opening and using a different browser. Alternatively, you can log into your computer with your group account credentials; press
Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and click .
Note: For the AMS, use a web browser capable of making a secure connection (one that supports SSL), such as the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari, and be sure you are able to accept cookies.
Allow yourself 10 to 15 minutes to complete the account creation process. Your Account Management Service (AMS) session will time out if left inactive for more than five consecutive minutes; subsequently, you will need to log in and begin the process again.
To create additional computing accounts:
- Using a web browser, go to the Indiana University Account Management Service at:
- Select .
- If you're redirected to the Central Authentication
Service page, enter your IU username and passphrase, and then
click . (If you're creating accounts for your group,
departmental, or student organization account, enter the username and
passphrase associated with that account.)
Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- On the left, under "Select a service", click .
- Under "Select an account to request", you'll see a list of
accounts for which you are eligible. Use the
corresponding radio button to select the account you want, and then
Note: You can select only one account at a time, but you can create more than one account during your session (see steps 7 and 8).
- The request process for some computing systems will require you to
enter additional information. If prompted to read, acknowledge, or
provide additional information, follow the on-screen instructions,
fill out all required fields, and then click
Note: For example, if you're eligible for a Big Red II account, you will need to supply additional information, including an acknowledgment that you understand your responsibilities regarding the security of electronic protected health information (ePHI), and your agreement to cite your use of the system in any published papers..
- After you've submitted your account request, you'll be redirected
to a page listing your active computing accounts and the status for
each. When "Current Status" has changed to
Created, the corresponding account is ready for use.
Note: Depending on the system, you may receive an email notification when your account is created. This message may also include important usage information, such as instructions for accessing the system, regularly scheduled maintenance windows, and links to support resources.
- To create another account, on the left, under "Select a service",
Otherwise, to end your session, close your browser. again, and then return to step 4.
This is document achr in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-12-12.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.