Requesting IU computing accounts for groups or departments
On this page:
- Account creation
- Getting help
At Indiana University, faculty and staff members with individual computing accounts can request additional group accounts for purposes related to their teaching, research, or work at IU. For example:
- A faculty member may use a group account to facilitate collaboration among students in a course, or among colleagues in a research projects.
- A staff member may use a group account to collaborate with teammates or other units within a department.
- A student organization (sponsored by a faculty member) may use a group account for similar collaborative purposes (see About computing accounts for IUB and IUPUI student organizations).
All group or departmental accounts must have owners who are active faculty or staff members (as reported by HRMS). If the owner leaves the university or (through change of HR status) becomes ineligible to own a group account, the owned account(s) will be removed. To ensure the continuity of group accounts, see About transferring ownership of a group or departmental account.
To log into a group account, use the group username and passphrase (set up by the account owner). To grant individuals access to your group account, you must share with them the group username and passphrase. To administer your group account(s), log in using the appropriate group account credentials (i.e., not your own individual Network ID username and passphrase).
The steps for group account creation include requesting the account, the request approval, and then account creation.
Requesting a group account username
To set up a group account, you must first request a unique username for the account:
- Click .
- The following page will display the current status of your group account requests. Click .
- Enter and re-enter the group username you want in the first two fields; in the "Display name:" field, enter the full name of your group. Select the campus and department associated with the group, and enter a brief description of the group's purpose.
The username must be at least three and no more than eight characters; however, the display name can be longer.
- Clicking routes your request for approval.
Creating the group account
When your group account username has been approved, you can create your group's first accounts, including an ADS domain account for creating and managing other technology accounts (and logging into certain university services), and an email account:
- Click .
- If your group account request has been processed, the username you requested will be displayed. Click next to the username.
- Select the email options for the group account, and click .
- Create a passphrase for the group account and enter it in both boxes. Click .
After your group account passphrase is set, you can request additional computing accounts for that group account. To do this, you must be logged into the group account, using the group username and passphrase. For requirements and instructions, see At IU, if I already have some computing accounts, how do I get others?
This is document acyi in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-04-04 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.