At IU, what email systems are available?
Following is an overview of the existing email systems at Indiana University. Each campus allocates email accounts slightly differently; see At IU, what is my email address?
On this page:
Email for students
Indiana University undergraduate students have two options for email and other online communication services: Imail (powered by Microsoft) and Umail (powered by Google). Graduate and professional students are also eligible for Exchange accounts.
For more, see Imail and Umail.
Undergraduate student employees, or undergraduates with a faculty or staff sponsor, may be eligible for Exchange email accounts. Graduate student academic appointees should see About email for graduate SAAs.
Email for faculty and staff
Exchange accounts provide integrated messaging features, such as shared departmental calendars, in addition to email. Exchange accounts are available for staff, faculty, and graduate or professional students, and for sponsored undergraduate students. For details about accessing your Exchange mail, see Reading your Exchange email.
- Some departments offer their own mail servers for their members. Contact your department's computing support provider for details.
- If you maintain your own Unix or Linux
workstation and would like to receive your mail there, the
Support Center can help with configuration information,
- You can use a non-IU mail provider, such as Hotmail, Gmail, or another third-party Internet service provider (ISP). However, if you choose this option, it is unlikely that UITS or your department will be able to provide much help if you run into problems. Also, you are still responsible for reading email sent to your IU account; see At IU, what is the policy about official communications from the university to students?
Whichever option you choose, be sure to set your preferred address so that your email will be directed to the right system. For more, see At IU, how do I choose or change my primary email address and preferred email service?
When you graduate
For information about lifelong IU email addresses available to all IU alumni, see At IU, what happens to my student computing accounts when I graduate, leave the university, transfer to another campus, or study abroad?
This is document adiz in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-10-09.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.